Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Create transparent forground image of wife for overlay into avi or mp4 video

Mar 25, 2013 5:18 PM

http://www.screencast.com/t/CdVnCpXd     Please watch my screencast  that will explain my delima  I need a step by step for dummies as I just downloaded after effects and got part of the way but now stumpped

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to WisconsinPat1

This question is asked all the time. I'ts answered in the FAQ and in several tutorials and several columns. Unless you are specifically going to go to Flash you should not use EXPORT ever for anything. Add your composition to the Render Cue and then adjust the output module settings to render to a format that supports alpha channels, set the color to RGB + Alpha and matted to Straight. Render and you'll get a movie that has an alpha channel if you picked a format that supports alpha transparency.

To give you more specific instructions you should tell us what you plan to do with the video. I have no idea and it could be anything. There are dozens if not hundreds of options here so please let us know what you want to do with the video and what the end product will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to WisconsinPat1

You'll want to composite your movies either in After Effects or a NLE. Export them as QuickTime with PNG compression or Animation Codec QT or use one of the few AVI's that support transparency. I also do a bunch of Screen Capture movies but I render them to a production codec and edit them either in AE, PPro or FCP, add my overlays and go from there.

Haven't used Camtasia for a long time but the screen cap program I do use fully supports bringing in movies with transparent backgrounds as well as stills.

Neither the Media Player or the QuickTime player will playback videos with alpha channels with a transparent background because the background of the media player is black. Both AVI and QT in the right format fully support alpha channels.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to WisconsinPat1

Rick's a star......

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers