Skip navigation
Wask15
Currently Being Moderated

Why isn't gradient transparency printing right?

Mar 25, 2013 1:53 PM

Tags: #illustrator #pdf #transparency #printing #cs6 #gradients

When printing a vector illustration in PDF format, my gradients that fade to 0% over a surface aren't coming out right. The gradient appears like a box with a hard edge, rather than fading away. It looks like this when viewing the file Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 4.15.49 PM.png , but when printed I am getting this .photo-3.JPG (don't mind the color, it is a bad quality photo)

I am using an HP z5200 postscript printer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to Wask15

Same old, same old: Colour management (or absence of same). You need to figure out which color profiles/ settings your printer uses to rasterize the data for print, calibrate your system accordingly and set the relevant color profiles, use proof preview, possibly verify your stuff in Acrobat before printing. No easy "just flip this switch" answers here...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Wask15

Try setting the top layer to "Multiply" in the transparency dialog.  Are you saying the background does not show through the shadow layer?  I think Monica Gause has a solution that involves a shadow mask of some sort.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Wask15

It looks like a blend problem.  Is there a way to match the Blue in the gradient instead of White or None?  That might solve it when the file is flattened.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Wask15

Yes, you could rasterize it.  Try it and see if the problem goes away.  Let us know either way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points