Skip navigation
sinsanity911
Currently Being Moderated

SWF Re-compile Help

Mar 25, 2013 3:09 PM

Tags: #cs4 #flash #swf #compile #de-compile #decompile #recompile #re-compile

Although not a novice to coding, I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to flash, so I apologize if I leave out necessary details, and will be happy to supply any info you need.

My issue is this:  I have a 1.6mb (approx. file size) .swf file which I need to de-compile, edit a couple lines of code from one .as file, and then re-compile.  I de-compiled using SoThink SWF Decompiler, found the .as file in question, and have successfully found the lines of code and made changes and saved the .as file.  Now, I need to compile everything back together into a new .swf file.  I noticed the de-compiled files/folder expand to about 12mb in size.

I am using Adobe Flash CS4 Professional v. 10.0.2.  At this point I am pretty much lost.  I open Flash and create a new project, but I don't know if I'm incorrectly loading the files or what.  I designate a project name, point to the root folder where all my de-compiled files/folders sit, and when I attempt to run "Test project" I get a message telling me I have to mark an FLA as the default document.  I navigate to the only .fla in the whole folder structure, right-click, and set it as the default document.  I then run the test, which works, but when I either publish the project or export to swf I get a resulting .swf file of about 77kb, too small to contain all the data, and it does not run when I re-inject it into my original folder path.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am even willing to zip/rar the original files and include details of the changes I made if someone would like to take a stab at it, as long as they then teach me what I am doing wrong.

Thank you.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to sinsanity911

first, you may not be able to successfully re-compile because the decompiled file(s) are problematic.

your best bet, is to open the fla (in flash pro) that was created by the decompiler and publish a swf (before editing anything).

if you're lucky, there will be no compiler errors.  then test the published swf.  if it works, you're good to add your changes and publish.  if it doesn't work, there's no easy way to find the problem(s).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points