Skip navigation
Tim-HV20
Currently Being Moderated

I do not want one long one hour clip when I import from my HV20!!

Mar 25, 2013 2:35 PM

How do I import HDV from my Canon HV20 into Premiere Elements 11, and retain the integrity of each clip? I just wasted an hour importing my first tape,

Thanks!

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Tim-HV20

Before hitting the capture button make sure the checkbox for Split Scenes is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to Tim-HV20

split scenes.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Tim-HV20

Does your PrE 11 Capture screen look different than Ann's example?

Mine, on a PC, matches her's exactly. What OS are you on?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Tim-HV20

Interesting. I know that there ARE some differences between PrE for the PC and for the Mac, but assumed that those were mostly in regards to file formats, Transitions, Effects, and maybe a few more similar things. I am surprised that the Capture screen is different. Maybe there is some reason for that, as on the Mac, you will be doing the Capture to MOV, and to DV-AVI on a PC. Still, though they are different formats, I am surprised that one cannot Split Scenes on a Mac. May have just learned something here.

Can you post a screen-cap of your Capture screen, in case the function is named differently, and located elsewhere?

Also, our MOD, Steve Grisetti, works on both a Mac and a PC, so he might have some insight on Split Scenes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 1:19 AM   in reply to Tim-HV20

I use Pre11 on my iMac and my laptop PC.

For capturing HDV on iMac/Prel from my Sony HC9, I separate each clip manually by visualizing scenes on the cam screen.

This because HDV capture does not work as DV capture on Elements : scene split by timecode is not possible, and visualization on Mac screen during capture

does not work, according to the product documentation I use. If you want to separate clips, after complete capture, you have to select split by content, which generates

several clips but needs time to process.

Faced to the same issue as yours for scene split, I use this process :

- on my laptop, I use HDVsplit (free software) which perfectly captures tape files and separates each clip by time code

- on my Mac, I capture files by iMovie which does the split process automatically, then I use the import from folder iMovie events in PREL11.

Nevertheless, for small video files, I use manual splitting when I want to use only Prel. The problem is to go backward on tape sometimes to be sure to have all the images

because manual operations are not as efficient as automatic process.

Bonne chance.

JM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to JMJarrige

The challenge with using iMovie to capture your video is that it pretty much captures every file as a form of MOV -- and that can make it difficult for Premiere Elements to identify the file specs, and that can affect its ability to automatically set up your project specs.

But if you can live with that, your workflow is certainly a good one, JM.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to JMJarrige

JM,

HDVSplit is very popular with the PrPro crowd too, and many feel that it is the Capture module, that Adobe should have gone with. However, unless things have changed, it is available for the PC only. I have and use it, but I am PC-only.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve for your advice on iMovie constraints. On Mac, because of the stuff on MPEG2 codec, iMovie, when capturing HDV, generates clips using Apple codec, encapsulated in MOV format, although when the capture is done by PREL the format is mpeg files. I used my workflow mainly with Prel 9, where the project specs are not automatic.

Now I am trying another workflow : capture on my Win7 laptop with HDVSplit on an external disk drive, then copy from this HD to my iMac environment. The advantage is that the format is directly mpeg format for Prel 11, and time code cut is done.

PS : I use your muvipix guide for Premiere and photoshop 11 since december (Christmas gift), excellent book, easy to read and understand even for a french guy !

JM

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points