Skip navigation
ajsalcedo
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Mar 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Every few minutes a get a pop up of the Adobe Flash Player Installer asking me if I want to install the latest version.

I have already the latest version.

I have already uninstalled the Flash Player and reinstalled it. I have done this several times using the Windows Control Panel Uninstall Program. I have also used the Adobe uninstaller tool from the Adobe website.

I have already configured Adobre Flash Player to never update.

I have already googled for this, apparently not so uncommon, issue.

Running Windows 7 x64, Internet Explorer 10, Chrome

Thanks,

Antonio

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 25, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to ajsalcedo

Hi Antonio,

When you go to this page:

http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/swfobject/testsuite_2_2/test_dynamic_m ultiple.html

Do you see the following (or something similar)?

2013-03-25_16-00-19.png

Can you take a screenshot of the notification dialog that is prompting you to update?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 26, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to ajsalcedo

Thanks Antonio.  What is the dialog/text/page right before the Flash Player installer dialog that you posted?  Or do you see nothing other than the Flash Player 11.6 Installer appearing automatically every few minutes?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 26, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to ajsalcedo

This is definitely not normal.  I suspect something on your system is launching this on a regular basis.  Let's see if we can find out what is causing it.

When this dialog appears, can you launch Process Explorer and find the flashplayer*.exe (not sure what the exact name will be) entry in the process list?  Right click on it and go to properties.  From the properties dialog, click the Image tab and look to see what the Parent value is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 8, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to ajsalcedo

Do you have to be browsing the internet for the installer to pop up? 

In Process Explorer, do you see a "Parent" field in the Image tab of the processes properties dialog box?  If so, what does it tell us?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Visa 32 bit. I had installed 11.3.300.268 and never had a problem. Recently I decided to update to 11.7. Good intstall everything working as it should, but, everytime, the first time, I open up IE9 I get a pop up Windows installer wanting to install FP, eventhough, it's already been installed and working. I tried doing a clean uninstall and reinstall using the FP removal tool and still getting the pop up. I subsequently had to do a system point restore to alleviate the problem. The update function had been disabled.  Anything you can suggest to alleviate the problem with FP and IE9 as described above? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2014 9:08 PM   in reply to ajsalcedo

I agree. This is exceptionally annoying. On IMac under 10.9 with Safari and Chrome.

Settings undser preferences were that it was to auto update. I am changing to notify me, and if that does not work, will turn the damned thing off. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points