Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Mar 25, 2013 3:55 PM

Hi,

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 and am using Illustrator CS5.1 via an Adobe subscription. I have repeatedly tried to install several plug-ins made by Astute Graphics (www.astutegraphics.com/). I download the file, double click on the .dmg folder and then double click on the installer icon. The installation process is quick, easy and completely automatic, and each time installation is confirmed "successful". But, the plug-ins' tools are nowhere to be found within Illustrator once I open the program, nor do any files appear in the Plug-ins folder. Just recently I downloaded and installed another company's plug-in without any difficulties, and the corresponding file appears in this same folder.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to Fun Seeker

Which one is causing you trouble?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Fun Seeker

Hello Mark,

Normally the plugin files should be right inside your plugins folder inside the Illustrator program folder.

Do you have different versions of Illustrator on your computer?

Do you run virus protection software? (This often disturbs installation processes)

The tools themselves can be found in the tool panel in Illustrator. ColliderScribe consists of sub-tools under the select tool (black arrow - the icon should have a small triangle on the bottom right).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to Fun Seeker

Fun Seeker wrote:

No,  I have only this one version installed, and as I mentioned it's an Adobe subscription. Is it possible that because it's a subscription I'm having difficulties? Perhaps I'm limited in some ways because it's not a purchased product.

you mean the creative cloud subscription? Shouldn't make a difference. I have it as well and the plugins work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Fun Seeker

Fun Seeker wrote:

Perhaps I should download the Creative Cloud software.

only for this issue it shouldn't make a difference. Illustrator is the same no matter if you bought a download or a boxed version.

Have you already tried the Astute Graphics support?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Fun Seeker

Hi Mark,

have you sorted out the problem?

When installing, what does the installer tell you where the files will be installed?

It's listed on this dialog box beside the check mark and you should also be able to change it to the plugin folder by clicking on the button with the "...":

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 10.30.28.png

In case you're not able to change it to the correct folder you should contact the AG support again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points