Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cant migrate Windows PE11 backup to Imac

Mar 25, 2013 6:14 PM

Tags: #elements #11 #migrate_newcomputer

hello and cheers;

I recently purchased an Imac 27" and am trying several different ways to migrat my 27,000 picture library:

• I do a backup on an external NTFS drive. I doc to MAC. On the first attempt, I was able to locate the tly file, but the backup failed at 63% on soime mpeg conversion error. Since that time, the Mac can no longer any files in the backup folder (however if i connect to PC the files are all there)

• I originally migrated the folder structure and imported all the photos. It asked me if I wanted to import all tags and i said yes. However, it filed all my tags inder "Other imported tags" section, and losing all my original tagging structure.

• I am now tryiong to write tag information to the files and transfer via Migration assisttant, but am worried I will have the sma results as above.

Can anyone help me with this? I have used tagging for 6 years and would hate to lose all the work I have done.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 10:22 PM   in reply to chucktheweevil

Could you please share you backup.tly file (just this file only) so that I can investigate this issue at my end?

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to chucktheweevil

Are there too many mpegs in your original catalog? If not, can you try taking backup by first removing these mpeg files from the catalog and then restoring this backup on your mac machine?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to chucktheweevil

The PSE backup contains all of the database and copies of your photos. So there is no need to first copy the photos physically.

Also when you connect an external drive with images, iPhoto is likely to launch automatically and attempt to import them. It’s best to hit Cmd+Q immediately, to quit that application and to prevent duplicate library copies being created.

I would suggest you try a clean-up on the Mac and then make a fresh catalog backup on the Windows machine after firstly deleting the mpeg video files. You only need to delete them from the Organizer; not from the hard drive.

Then start a new catalog on the Mac using the Organizer menu:

File >> Manage Catalogs >> New

Then use:

File >> Restore Catalog

Navigate to the new TLY file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to chucktheweevil

I'm confused. Before you were talking about moving the files to the mac, which has no C drive. Which computer are you talking about now?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points