Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Facebook page

Mar 26, 2013 1:04 AM

Hi I have created a page on my web site to be used as an app on Facebook, have spent ages on the Facebook documentation on how to add this app, I don't seem to be getting ant where, I've got the Facebook Marketing for Dummies 2nd edition and that got information , but it don't seem to mach up with Facebook it's self, so if there is some one out there who knows a bit about this could you help me please. Thank you Jeff

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 26, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Can you please explain where you've got stuck so we can help you based on that? Also, if you could give us a link to your page that you're trying to integrate within FB, it would help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 26, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Hey Jeff, the link is not loading.

In the meantime, about the other questions you have, did you by any chance take a look at this: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/getting-started/#create -app

It has everything you need to know about creating your first app.

Namespace is used for creating custom actions using Open Graph as well as for your app URL on apps.facebook.com.

Heroku is a FB partner and gives you free hosting for FB apps - http://www.heroku.com/

Here's a guide from Heroku on 'Getting Started': https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/facebook#what_is_heroku

Trust this helps you get your head around the basics at the least!

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 4, 2013 10:28 PM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Place the following file at the URI that you specified in settings above.

The code should go into your 'Site URL' that you entered in Step 1. Refer to the Screenshot just before 'Step 2' in that link.

The code is application-specific and is unique to each app that you build. Most times, the generic code is the same, but the 'appId' will be unique to each app.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 5, 2013 12:44 AM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

The code in Step 2 has to go in full into the .html file defined in 'Site URL'. This is a sample app that you'll be creating. Once you paste the full code, all you'll have to change is appId, depending on what FB generates and provides.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 5, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Jeff, you're following a 'tutorial'. Yes, what you see there is only just for you to get a complete understanding of how to use/ implement a FB app with Open Graph API. Once you get a hang of it, you should be able to implement a similar feature to your own html page and generate a FB AppID to integrate with.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 5, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Line 13 of your file:

var fbAppId = 'replace me';

You should replace this with the ID that was generated for you in Step 1.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 7, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to Jeffrey54 Lane

Follow the instructions 'as is' on the FB tutorial link first to get a hang of creating your 'first app'. While you're at it, learn what you're coding and what it impacts.

Once you're successful with building the 'sample app' according to the instructions first, go ahead, try your hand with your own 'custom' code or custom HTML markup.

Don't try to deviate from the tutorial as that will only confuse you more and will prove to be a much steeper learning curve.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points