Skip navigation
MrCarder
Currently Being Moderated

Feathering a layer's edge - increasing intensity closer to the edge

Mar 25, 2013 9:15 PM

Tags: #cs5 #feather #manipulation #feather_radius #feathering

I am working on a project where I need to make an office chair appear to have eyes. Specifically, dog eyes.

I'm having trouble getting the edges of my eyes to look like they are part of the chair, which got me wondering. Is there a way to feather my edges with increased intensity closer to the edge? To be specific, I'd like to start the feather 100px inside the border with 60% opacity, all the way to the edge (border) with 0% opacity. I tried doing this manually a couple of ways and it just didn't look uniform. I'll post the photos I am using below, in case that might help. Please let me know if any additional information might help as well.

I have also tried with the eyes seperated (without the middle area), but I still have the same issues.

I found this image that shows what I'm trying to do.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to MrCarder

Use a layer mask and tweak it with blurs, curves and the Refine Edges tool...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to MrCarder

Two eye layers - and a small piece of copied chair on a layer above the bottom one. The small blue bit is set to Hue, so it colors the bottom eye layer. Mask out all but the eyes on the top layer, and leave just enough of the bottom (blue) eye layer to give some definition.

Screen shot 2013-03-26 at 8.25.39 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points