Skip navigation
AlisonElizabeth1
Currently Being Moderated

My Folders have 'disappeared' in the Organizer.

Mar 25, 2013 9:08 PM

Tags: #missing #files #organizer #11 #pse

HELP!  When I opened my Photoshop Elements 11 Organizer all of my folders/albums were gone.  There was an error message that said the media files had been moved since import and were now gone with no backup.  There was a button for RECONNECT which I hit...but all the computer will do is search for the missing files for hours....Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 10:13 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Please make sure that 'Left panel' is turned on , if not click on 'Show' butto on task bar.

If your files gone missing, stll there should be no impact on left panel contents (album/folders). Could you please paste a snapshot of Elements organizer?

Missing files is another problem that can be dealt by refering 'How to resolve' section of the blog: http://tinyurl.com/aswpylz

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Have you gone to Explorer and searched for any of your files on the disk?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Have you checked the recycle bin?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 1:22 AM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

I have never heard it referred to as trash, are you on a PC or Mac? If your pictures are not in the recycle bin(or trash, which I am assuming is the same), nor when you do a search in Explorer can you find them I am afraid they are gone. You will need to do a restore from a backup unless someone else has an idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Let me understand the workflow here. You have some images (which are perfectly fine) in Organizer (as well as on hard disk drives). When you edit them, the original image has ? and you are unable to located them back on your hard drive. Please let me know if i missed something.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 1:21 AM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

So the original images are located on 'card/flash drive'. When the card is plugged in, everything works fine. You are able to edit the image. Once you removed the card, the original pics has ? sign and you are unable to located them onto Hard drive (that is because they aren't really on hard disk drives'.

If the problem is what I mentioned above, then to fix this, please follow:

1. Plug in the card (so that now all images are connected).

2. Select all images (belonging to card) and click on 'File->Copy'. Select 'Copy' if you want to retain copies on card as well as on hard disk and move if you want to 'mov' your images from card to hard drive. In both cases they will remain in Organizer.

3. In the next dialog, select the destination (where on hard drive) do you want to put them and click on 'ok' button.

Please let me know if I missed something in the workflow.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Okay, PSE for Mac is different. First of all, do you want to use iphoto or organizer or neither or something else again?

Let's start there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Yes, you can still use bridge if you still have your older copy of PSE installed, or if you have another adobe program that uses bridge. For PSE bridge, the only problem is that you won't be able to see thumbnails for or use Bridge to convert raw files from camera models from recent years.

So is that what you prefer? Why are you using iphoto at all? It's not mandatory, you know, unless you want to use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Okay let's see if a different approach makes this any clearer. The organizer and iphoto are meant to be your home library for all your photos, the program you go to whenever you want to use a photo for anything at all. If you have photos in two different organizing programs, you will never find anything. You really need to decide which one you want to use.

You can use organizer and forget all about iphoto. You can use iphoto and set PSE as your external editor and forget organizer. But to maintain a double set of images for no reason is just going to make you confused and crazy. If you want to test organizer to see if you like it, export some photos from iphoto to the desktop, put them in a folder wherever you want to keep them permanently, and use "from files and folders" to import the copies to organizer. Then try both for a little while, but sooner or later you need to make a choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

The mac version of the adobe downloader must be called up deliberately each time from the menu in the organizer.

Go to the iphoto preferences and choose No Application here:

ScreenSnapz001.jpg

Then nothing will happen when you connect your camera until you tell it to, by launching the organizer and the photo downloader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to AlisonElizabeth1

Once you connect your card to your MAC, within the Organizer, click "Cmd+G" or File >> Get Photos and Videos >> From Camera/Card Reader.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points