Skip navigation
hyori_kim
Currently Being Moderated

Jagged pictures after resizing down?

Mar 25, 2013 11:51 PM

Tags: #cs4 #photoshop

I never encounter this problem before, but suddenly my photoshop acts like this.

I resized down my HD pictures (2k pixels) to 500px and this is the result. It looks like raw .. looks like a big picture resized down in browser without actually rasterizing it (??)

testbabar2.jpg

I want the smooth looking back, but how to do that (pic below, 2nd pic)?

for example I want to achieve this result (below pic 2nd pic, smooth looking. I resized using another program and it's smooth looking, when i resize the same picture down in PS, it doesnt look smooth.)

rawcow.png

Help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 12:00 AM   in reply to hyori_kim

Which Image Interpolation Method did you use (see the dropdown menu at the bottom of the Image Size dialog)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to hyori_kim

Photoshop > Preferences > Image Interpolation

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

To expand on what c.pfaffenbichler just said, Photoshop's default resampling algorithm USED to be Bicubic, which balances sharpness nicely against smoothness.

For some reason they made the default "Bicubic Automatic" in Photoshop CS6, which ham-handedly applies Unsharp Mask - this may STILL leave you with an image that's crunchier than you like. 

It's as though Adobe believes that someone somewhere actually thinks that's a better algorithm.  Trouble is, no one - NO ONE - I've ever met thinks so.  Not even beginner users appear to like the extent to which it oversharpens.

My suggestion is to change it to "Bicubic".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points