Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does DW CS6 automatically add a white background to an inserted image?

Mar 26, 2013 2:15 AM

Tags: #background #image #dreamweaver #ps #editing #cs6 #white #fw

Firstly ,let me appreciate the help I have been given on this forum for another DW CS6 problem which was solved by the very helpful technical department.

Thanks guys and that is why I am here with another annoying problem.

I normally design my sites in Fireworks CS6 because of the amazing range of styles available. So I resized and optimised  an image of my model and saved it as png  because that means a transparent background. But the moment I inset it into DW CS 6 (Insert-image-) there she is but with a white background. I have tried reediting in PS and FW and also as a last resort illustrator, trying gif, tiff, png, psd grin but no luck. Yes, there they are- the image floating as it were in air in  PS and FW but the moment I place it into my index page in DW, up pops the white background obliterating all other content on my site.

Can anyone help me please.

Also, I wanted to see if there was any CSS rule which would get rid of the white background if there is no other editing option .

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

Are you previewing in 'Design' view in Dreamweaver? Did you check in 'Live View' or in an actual browser? Does the white background remain there as well?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 3:44 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

Can you upload and post a link so we can see the image for ourselves?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

Are you *SURE* you have saved it with the transparency enabled? I'm pretty sure that would be the solution here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

Or if you change the body background colour to pink would it have a pink background, I wonder...

--

Kenneth Kawamoto

http://ww.materiaprima.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Even with seeing the checkerboard background in your graphics app, if you don't save the image with transparency enabled, it will have a white background. This is not DW doing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

DW doesn't do this. The problem is with the way you have created the image. Make sure you enable transparency when you save it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

That has to be the reason. This is not DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Murray is right, your GIF has a solid background  #fefefe.

--

Kenneth Kawamoto

http://www.materiaprima.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

> FW- Saving as GIF do I enable index transparency or alpha transparency to remove that white background?

If your original has a transparent background choose Alpha Transparency. If your original has a solid background, choose Index Transparency, then nominate a colour(s) you want to make transparent using the colour sample tools in the bottom left corner (I think FW automatically selects the background colour to make it transparent for you but you can adjust with this.)

--

Kemnneth Kawamoto

http://www.materiaprima.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to Dueep Jyot Singh

See Screenshot from Photoshop:  Save as PNG-24 with transparency.  This will give you a transparent background with good image quality. 

Twitter-Icon-Saved.jpg

GIF  only supports 250 colors.  Photos  saved as GIFs tend to be very pixilated and flat. GIF is mostly used for logos or drawings with only a few solid colors in them.

JPG does not support  transparency.  Backgrounds are always opaque.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points