Skip navigation
TerraAustralis
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 Manual setting probs. Please Help.

Mar 26, 2013 4:19 AM

I am new to InDesign CS5 and cannot get the program to set text consistently. I have imported .rtf text from Word and created a Style to make setting adjustments easier. However I find some paras have not responded to the style correctly.

My style is 10mm First line indent, with full justification and last line ranged left right ragged.

Most of the text has set as described but several paras have ignored the last line ranged left and have set to full measure with ugly expanded word spaces.

I have tried to over-ride by highlighting the offending paras and clicking the paragraph styles in the Paragraph pallet window. The paras switch from centred to ranged left or right as one would expect, but the last line ranged left for the justified text stubbornly refuses to respond.

I checked my Styles specs to seek conflicts and found non. I have invisibles switched on to check keystrokes and can see no problems there. I have checked Preferences but cannot figure out which may cause this problem.

A clue may be that the offending paras will not accept a soft return. If I have a tight line and insert the type tool in front of the last word to turn it onto the next line of text, the whole word is spread the full width of the measure and the next line drops down refusing to accept the word.

My reference book for InDesign is the lucid Kvern, Blatner, Bringhurst book Adobe CS5.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong please or point me to the correct section of the book to re-read as I have run out of ideas.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to TerraAustralis

I've moved your question to the InDesign forum where you'l get a wider range of opinions.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to TerraAustralis

Some screen shots might help. You can embed them in a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

TerraAustralis wrote:

A clue may be that the offending paras will not accept a soft return. If I have a tight line and insert the type tool in front of the last word to turn it onto the next line of text, the whole word is spread the full width of the measure and the next line drops down refusing to accept the word.

That sounds like a section of text that has either No Break applied, or the words are seaprated by non-breaking spaces and hyphenation is disabled. Have you tried holding the Alt/Opt key while clicking on your style to clear overrides (that would remove No Break, and an override on hyphanation, but it won't affect spaces)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 4:35 AM   in reply to TerraAustralis

Your screen shot shows the lines with the bad spacing end in a forced line break, so they aren't the last line in a paragraph at all, and the following line is not the start of a new paragraph. The question now becomes waht should those line breaks REALLY be? Paragraph breaks or just spaces between sentences?

Once you decide that you can use Find/Change to find forced line breaks and replace them with either spaces or paragraph breaks. If there's a possibility that you actually want some forced line breaks in your text you need to be careful to either limit the scope of the search to text that should not have any, or to use find, then change and find or find next, so that you can choose which ones to change and which to leave. If some should be spaces, some paragraph breaks, and some forced line breaks should stay, then you probably need to leave non-printing characters showing and scroll through the file manually making the decisions as you go.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to TerraAustralis

I'm not quite sure what you've done. In all of the highlighted text that's visible in the screen capture there is not one paragraph return, so there is no last line with a problem, only lines following the forced line breaks (soft returns). I see a couple of tabs here and there that probably don't belong, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to TerraAustralis

When I look at your last tow screen captures I see that the soft return after "this was going to take some time" was replaced by hard return, which all by itself should have solved the problem.

Text alignment is a paragraph level attribute and you simply cannot apply left aligned to one line in the middle of a full justified paragraph (only the last line, and only by choosing the full justified with last line aligned left option), and you cannot mix any justification settings within a paragraph at all without the paragraph being fully justified (again, only the last line options).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points