Skip navigation
Welshy 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive PDF with video

Mar 26, 2013 7:39 AM

Tags: #video #full_screen #interactive_pdf #skinoverplayfullscreen #skinoverplayseekfullscreen #interactive_pdf_video

Hi,

I hope someone can resolve the issue I'm having.

I've just created an InDesign document that contains video files which when exported as an interactive PDF should appear at 100% in Acrobat, but the video files are set to play in full screen when clicked on. In the media panel I've tried SkinOverPlaySeekFullscreen and SkinOverPlayFullscreen, neither of these are doing what they're supposed to when clicked on in Acrobat. The video files just play in place, no full screen when the full screen icon in the controller is clicked.

Is this a glitch in InDesign or is there something I'm doing wrong? If it is a glitch can this be fixed.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

Even though the Skin name suggests that it can play full screen, it won't play full screen. You have to manually right-click the video and choose the option that has a name like "Multimedia in Full Screen."

As far as I know, that's the only way to do it. It has absolutely nothing to do with InDesign. It's a "feature" of the Flash Player built into Acrobat or Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

There´s one way you can make your video to play fullscreen, but I don´t know is it wise to use or not?

You can use legacy video format, like AVI or MPEG, InDesign will give you a compatibility alert when you place it but if you click continue, you will have that file placed. Next step is to export interactive PDF and open it in Acrobat. Then select Video tool and double-click the video, window that opens looks pretty different than one you get with FlashVideos or other newer formats. In Settings tab, click Edit Rendition, go to Playback Location tab in opening window and change Playback Location to FullScreen.

Click OK and save you PDF. Now it should open in FullScreen whenever it´s played (there´s some security setting in Preferences>Multimedia (Legacy) that may influence to fullscreen mode)

legacyvideosettings.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

I placed an MP4 file. Using the Media panel, I chose "SkinOverPlayFullScreen" controller, and Show Controller on Rollover. I exported as Interactive PDF. When it opened in Acrobat Pro, it did not play full screen. But I clicked it, and began playing. Then I right-clicked on it and it showed this contextual menu:

FullScreen.jpg

Clicking Full Screen Multimedia made it play full screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

With videos which are handled by the Flash Player (MP4, M4V, FLV, etc.) that is apparently the only way to do it. I don't use legacy video formats like AVI or MPEG anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

As funny as it may sound, that may be  because they have the latest version of Adobe Reader in their computer, there´s no built-in Flash Player anymore, Reader uses regular Flash Player and that may cause all kinds of troubles with Flash content baked into PDF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

That´s how it often goes with legacy video formats, you probaby have some security setting on which prevents opening to fullscreen.

Video file itself should be embedded to PDF. You can check that by comparing file size of PDF without placed video with one where video has been placed. Difference beteween sizes of those 2 PDFs should be about same as the size of video file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Welshy 2008

Flash is as close to dead as it can get for this type of purpose.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points