My company will be producing election material for the city. It will contain 300 candidates details and images. I've set up a test document with Excel as the data source. And I've reached the stage of producing one record accurately, that contains a candidate image, bio and answers to three static questions.
My [CS5.5] indd page will contain between 3-5 candidate profiles per document page (depending on the race). My '3-candidate layout' is set up with the static info on the master page. When selecting the multiple records option in the Data Merge tab, everything looks great - in preview - until I click 'OK'. I then get one record, skewed off to the right of the page, with the other two records off the page completely. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for a really quick response! I tried your suggestion.... after reading a response in another thread. But I got the same skewed result. I've tried adjusting the x-y position of my layout and although it does move on the resulting merged document, it's still skewed.
Let's start by adding an empty no-fill/no-stroke frame around all the sutff that's supposed to be duplicated, and then group tat and all of the objects it contains so it makes a single unit. This may not help, but it definitely won't hurt, and it makes moving things easier if you need to at some point.
You now have a choice. You can leave the group where it is on the master page, and in theory other master items will be ignored and not duplicated during the merge, or you can move it back to the document page. If you do the latter, apply the None master to the document page so there are no master objects showing -- only your group to be duplicated -- and the muliple records should work. Your previous problem using the document page I suspect came from there being other objects that would not fit if they were also duplicated.
Finally, CS6 seems to be a little flaky about margins, so reset the margins in the merge options. Leave the top and left margins as they are, but rest the bottom and right to 0. Try a merge without preview.
This is what I got with grouping the variable content and placing it on the document page:
The third record appeared on page 2. The elements are all slightly down and to the right on the page.
Your first option - of leaving it on the master page, but grouped, gave me the same result as my first example (skewed to the right).
This is proving to be a head-scratcher! Thanks for your efforts though.
Did your reset the right and bottom margins? hard to tell from the screen shot, but it doesn't look like there's enough space with the current setting for space between rows to get another record on the page (and even if there is, as I mentioned ID can be flaky about it if the last record touches the bottom margin.\
Also check to be sure the ruler zero point is set to the upper left corner of the page....
I think we're getting somewhere...!
Here's my latest merged document:
Note that the resulting document is still pushing the elements down and right slightly from the margins. Without that tiny wrinkle, this would be perfectly positioned.
However, the top/left margins are set to 0.75/0.5; bottom/right, zero. My ruler x-y is set to 0/0. I tweaked the spacing between rows after your comment and managed to get this result. There's still some work to do to get the layout looking consistent, but this is really promising. Thanks very much!
OK, let's try something else. Enlarge the surrounding frame until it hits the left edge of the page (and you want to remove the stroke on it so it doesn't show), then change the left margin to 0 also in the merge options.