Skip navigation
FiveBuy160
Currently Being Moderated

Can no longer select or move audio clips on Narration track - what happened??

Mar 26, 2013 10:26 AM

I began my first Adobe Premiere Elements 11 project this morning, a short video (5 mins) I intend to upload to YouTube.  It's a comedy sketch involving inanimate objects that "talk", so it requires a lot of dialogue to be added to, in this case, the Narration track.

I am not new to Premiere Elements.  In fact, I've done quite a bit of fairly complex editing on previous versions of the software (I upgraded to 11.0 from 8.0).  I've never had this problem before.

After editing this project for well over 2 hours with no problem, I can suddently no longer move or even select any audio clip on my Narration track.  They are just frozen and stuck there.  Everything else works normally.  I can select and move all other clips on all other tracks.  Further, all audio clips will play, even the ones on the Narration track.  However, I can no longer move, select, or even add any clip to the Narration track.

I opened a new project to see if the problem persisted, but it didn't - I could add, select, move audio clips on the Narration track just fine.

I'm stuck and bewildered.  The project I've already invested 2-3 hours into seems permanently broken.  The audio clips on my Narration track will play, but I can't select, move, or otherwise do anything to them.

My fear is not just that I'll have to start this project over again, but I'll never know when it will break again, and I'll lose all my work again.

Help!

Seriously, does anyone know what's happened?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I had a very old "test" Project, that behaved, as you describe, however it had been used for over a year, and opened, and edited, every few days, to test for problems, that others were having. One of the Audio Tracks (not one of the two Fixed Audio Tracks: Narration, or Soundtrack). I have no idea what happened to effectively "lock" that Audio Track.

How much editing was done to the Clips on the Narration Track? If not all that much, this might be a workaround. Drag your Clips from the Project Media Panel to a free Audio Track, say Audio 1, or Audio 2. Edit those, to match what you did on the Narration Track. When done, go to the Audio Mixer, and check Mute for the Narration Track.

Good luck, and while not ideal, that workaround might be useful to get your Project complete. Wish that I had some idea what happend to my Audio Track, and to your Narration Track, but I never figured that out.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

We have observed some anomalies with both of the Fixed Audio Tracks: Narration and Soundtrack. In some instances (also appear to Project-specific), they will no longer Export/Share the Audio Clips on them. Perhaps part of the same Bug?

In general, many responders here recommend against using either of those Tracks, and as per the reply that you got from Adobe, use a "regular" Audio Track instead. In most of those situations, the user WAS able to Select the Clips on the Narration, or Soundtrack Audio Track, and just drag the Clips to, say Audio 2. That always "fixed" those problems.

In my case, the Audio Track that became totally unresponsive was a regular Audio Track, but as mentioned, I had done a ton of editing of that Project, testing many things, so it was very old (at least a year), and had seen a lot of editing over that time. That was the only similar problems, that I have ever personally encountered. The result was the same, as for you with the Narration Track, but with some differences.

Thank you for reporting, and perhaps another reason to not rely on the two Fixed Audio Tracks.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I was unaware of the recommendations against using the "Fixed" audio tracks - "Narration" and "Soundtrack.  I will now treat the "Soundtrack" as I will the "Narration"...

This came about, as we began seeing issues with those two Fixed Tracks, and especially the inability to Export/Share Audio Clips on them - though the issues DID seem to be Project-specific, as the same user, on the same computer would have no such issues, with several subsequent Projects. Still, because of the number of reports, some of us got a bit "gun-shy."

This is a shame, though.  The fixed tracks were convenient.

I agree completely, and additional shame comes from new users, who see the names of those Tracks, and then logically use them, as they were intended. Again, issues seem to be Project-specific, so it's hard to track down the cause, and on Adobe's end, probably tough to reproduce with any regularity. Intermittent behavior, with many possible variables, is just tough to troubleshoot.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I am having the same issue. After 10 hours of work on a project it looks like it is hosed. I am very dissapointed. It looks like the names of the tracks have dissapeared and I can not rename them. Is there any way to fix this and restore the project?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to sleinbach

steinbach

Could you explain what you mean when you write that the names of the tracks have disappeared and I can not rename them?

How does your issue of disappearing track names relate to the narration track that appear to be locked for the other user? And, what are these tracks whose name have gone missing? Audio, Narration, Soundtrack...all tracks including video?

I had an interesting or dud of an idea for remedy of the original, but I am not clear where your issue fits in.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 12:35 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

A.T. Romano,

Easier to show you than expalin. Here is what it looks like after the tracks are locked:

PrE.jpg

Here is the normal view with track names and keyframe buttons. Notice that even though only the bottom two tracks above are locked, all tracks are missing the track name and keyframe buttons.

PrE-normal.jpg

I am not sure if the missing names and buttons are related to the locked tracks, however it seems like both of these happened at the same time. I hope you can come up with a solution so my work is not lost.

Thanks for helping!

Sam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to sleinbach

sleinbach

Thanks for the details. As I suggested this idea that I had after reading this thread may be just nonesense, but I thought it would be interesting to try.

This is recommended done with a copy of the project that you have now.

For now, let us assume that the missing track names are part of the locked Narration Track syndrome. I am not sure if your narration clip was generated in Premiere Elements narration feature or created elsewhere and brought into the program. That would be interesting information to have. But, nonetheless, moving forward with this idea.

Given you cannot move, delete, change, etc what is on this Narration Track. Whatever is on that Narration Track traces back to an original on the hard drive and probably is shown in Media Cache's (Adobe Folder) as  conformed audio cfa and pek set.

a. Find the narration hard drive hard location and move it to a new location (special folder on hard drive). When you go back to the copy of the problem project, you should be greeted with one of those "Where is....?" messages. Cancel out of that. Do not do anything within that message dialog.

b. Right click the thumbnail for your narration in Project Media and select Replace Footage. Then browse to and select the original that you had moved to the computer desktop and the special folder there.. Click OK. That should restore the file (including whatever effects were made to the file) to the project.

c. Has any of that had any effect on unlocking the Narration Track?

Other maneuvers to try

a. Trying to locate and delete any cfa or pek files associated with the problem audio.

b. Switching to an Aero Theme for Windows if you do not have one set so far.

Thanks for giving all of that a look at.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

FiveBoy160

Thanks for the update and the great news that you were able to save the project that got hit with this issue.

I do not have a model problem narration system to try out what worked for you. Any details on how I can force this issue in my Premiere Elements so that I could experiment with the suggestions for fixing such a project.

I have seen "lots of work on the narration track" associated with the problem, but could you give greater definition to lots of work with regard to what effects and other were applied to components on the narration track that locked. Just too many narration clips and/or other?

Great follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...After thought question, regarding Adobe's suggestion to go to the Quick review and delete that end narration clip. Can I assume that the same end narration clip would not delete in the Expert view like the rest of the Timeline narration content?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to FiveBuy160

FiveBuy160

Great reply. Thanks for taking the time to answer so fully. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to FiveBuy160

I have the same problem, but I really don't have much on the narration track...my whole project is only 2 minutes long!

I tried switching to Quick View, and I can select clips, but still can't do anything with them (cut/delete/move). I tried selecting them all in quick view & then swtiching to expert...they are still selected, but, again, can't do anything with them.

Any other suggestions? Other than write a complaint to Adobe...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to LNPato

Int

Since this is a 2 minute project with the narration issue, what happens if you start a new project?

Do you still end up in the same predicament?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I've never had this issue before. I'm just happy it didn't happen in the more extensive video I've been working on that's almost 10 mintues long!

I recorded my narration first, then cut it up & deleted parts that didn't work, then laid the video down over the narration clips. Like I said, it's only a 2 minute video...so I only had about 3 minutes of narration at the most that I was working with & cutting.

For now, I just selected all the video & audio I could (other than the narration track) and shifted it right on the timeline. Then I re-cut & dragged my narrated recordings from my project assets to my Audio 3 track & selected what I wanted with the workbar. I am now going to produce it using the "Share Workbar Only" option.

premiere narration track.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to LNPato

Is there any way to select where your narration clips go? Could they possibly go into your project assets without being placed in the timeline? Or could you select which audio track for them to record to by default? Just a thought...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to LNPato

Int

Regarding

Is there any way to select where your narration clips go

Could they possibly go into your project assets without being placed in the timeline?

,,,could you select which audio track for them to record to by default?

Only way I can think of is in terms of their hard drive save location. Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Captured Audio. What you set for the Captured Audio location will determine where the Premiere Elements produced Narration will be saved on the computer hard drive.

When I click Done to a Narration in the program, I always get the wav file placed in media (version 11, Project Assets) as well as a copy on the Timeline at the location of the Timeline Indicator. (With regard to the Narration being placed automatically on the Timeline (Narration Track), I also got the "bright" idea to try unchecking "Capture to Timeline" in the DV and HDV Capture Windows. Dud of an idea.)

If I think of any other possibilities, I will post them.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points