Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition crashes when attempting to export.

Mar 26, 2013 12:21 PM

Tags: #help #error #a #adobe #mac #has #audition #cs6 #multitrack #fatal #occurred

Hello there. I'm using Adobe Audition CS6 on a Macbook Pro OSX. I'm trying to export a multitrack project out to a .wav file (or any file really at this point). Everytime that I try to export it I get an error message saying "Audition has encountered a fatal error and needs to shut down". I have also tried bouncing the project out and encountered the same problem. I went through some steps with an Adobe representative and cleaned out my cache files, renamed the libarary folder, as well as tried every single bounce and export setting in the software and yet I keep coming up with the same message. I even tried turning off and turning back on my computer just to be thorough and I have yet to find a solution.

Can anyone help please?

Conor

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to drumcon9

If you can try the following steps to catch the crash report log and send it to me, I'd be happy to look into it further.

1.  When Audition crashes, open /Applications/Utilities/Console

2.  On the left side, open User Diagnostics Reports and locate the report for Adobe audition which corresponds to the time of your crash

3.  Drag and drop this item into an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and hit send.

Thanks!  I'm not aware of any common issues that would cause this behavior, but I believe the crash log may give us a direction to focus for troubleshooting.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to _durin_

Have the same problem here. Export consistently crashes, no matter which export format is chosen. Same symptoms, exporting a multitrack project with clips that have assigned individual effects.

Udpated to the latest build. Did not resolve the issue. Export is effectively non-functioning.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 14, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to JB_Sound

Can you also mail the crash report to Durin, as described above?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Were you able to resolve this?  I'm getting the exact same thing.  Working on a final mix for a feature film and today I fought with constant crashes when trying to save the file, etc.  I eventually just had to let it crash, open it up again, make a few changes, save/crash, etc. until I finally got all of the automation done and I'm ready to go.  But no matter what I try, the thing keeps crashing whenever I try to export the project.  Whether it's a multitrack mixdown or trying to bounce the master to a new track, the same thing keeps happening.

My only option is to set up another application to record my audio interface loopback and simply record the project in real time as it's playing, but considering how often it crashes when I'm just playing stuff back, that's unlikely to work either.

Ugh.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to _durin_

Is there any further development on this? I'm also getting this same error message everytime I try to export my file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 5:13 PM   in reply to reesieG

Unfortunately, no.  I don't know if it's because I'm using a lot of clips/effects/tracks or what, because I'm able to export a small file - like if I open an audio file of a song and export it as an MP3 - but the film mix just refused to cooperate.  Once I stopped making changes, Audition seemed to allow me to save more frequently without crashing.  Once I got to that point, I had to open up Sonar, set my audio interface to loopback, select the loopback as the audio source for an audio track within Sonar, then "Record" while playing the mix back from Audition.  It took me a couple of passes due to crashes, but I was eventually able to capture enough material to line everything up in Premiere and get a final mix that way.

Hopefully you have a similar setup so you can do a live bounce in this fashion...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 12:31 PM   in reply to JB_Sound

I'm not an Adobe expert... but I play one on PC.

I have had some workaround success (not by definition a true fix as all the factors aren't documented or verified -- but hey I have a working theory and I was able to get "Adobe Audition CS6 5.0 build708" to stop crashing on the mixdown operation as is described in this thread) [Spoiler: For my PC, .NET was the issue]

Little background info:

I've been a level1 and a midrange engineer primarily in break fix, compatibility testing and a good bit of ITSEC (currently: Technical Coordinator)

OS i fixed the issue on: Windows8 (I suspect this will apply to Win7 and god forbid you are using it, but also Vista), i'm familiar and run Mountain Lion but unfortunately for the purpose of this thread; I only use Protools on that system (sorry Adobe.) -- And further this fix will definitely not apply to Mac (but that doesn't mean it wont leave clues to that issue)

Plain and SImple: I had the same panic attack experinced by others as I had a basically complete multi-track project mixed and all ready to export to lossless format -- and Adobe would crash "unexpectedly" (ironically it did it so much that I fully expected it) at the point in which I would try to execute an export. All other functions seemed fine except any form of export. I assumed because of this it was an issue with the Adobe software and I ended up here to no success.

My Issue turned out to be with "Microsoft .Net"; I examined my .NET features (control panel>> programs and features >> "turn Windows features on/off"). I had these versions tuned on:

Microsoft .NET 2.0

Microsoft .NET 3.0

Microsoft .NET 4.5

(your .NET features may not have these same builds, but it is the same idea; and sometimes you'll see .NET 3.0 maintaining earlier versions within itself -- but that's neither here nor there in respect to this issue).

I turned them all off (unchecked all three and accepted the changes "OK"). After which I went back into the "turn Windows features on/off" menu and turned on Microsoft .NET 4.5 (in the case of your PC I would have only turned on whatever the latest build was -- the higest number). I accepted those changes; rebooted my machine... opened Audition, and boom, bang like magic my exports worked perfectly in every format I attempted.

It should be noted that I was comfortable turning off previous versions of .NET because I know I don't run any sotwares that require an older version, there for I choose to isolate my .NET issues to a single version to deal with. You may be running softwares that require these earlier versions to be active in which case I would still have turned them all off originally, but I would have turned them all back on and tested for success (more realistically I would have ran with only the latest version turned on and exported my mixdown -- then proceeded with any other troubleshooting).

Stickier .NET scenarios:

-You determine that all installed versions of .NET are damaged, corrupted, or not present (i've seen all of the above)... Damaged or Corrupted (any scenario where it's all present but not functioning even after the above attempts), you would be attempting a .NET repair... if there is simply no versions as late as 3.0 present; you would go to Microsoft.com and download an .NET exe file to install from.

-If repair doesn't work on your damaged or corrupted files; you would then probably find yourself performing a manual uninstall, followed by a fresh installation.

In the case of have to perform a repair or manual uninstall/install Microsoft has some pretty intuitive walkthroughs @ Microsoft.com here is a kb from them that gets into the basics of both operations: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077

I hope this helps at least a single person get their project exported, and away from that panic attack.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 18, 2014 2:44 AM   in reply to DirtyJeyAndTheBoys

DirtyJeyAndTheBoys wrote:

I hope this helps at least a single person get their project exported, and away from that panic attack.

Well, whatever you say (and no I'm not discounting .NET problems completely) that's not going to help all these people having this issue with Macs, is it? There has to be something else behind it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 10:55 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

Well, whatever you say (and no I'm not discounting .NET problems completely) that's not going to help all these people having this issue with Macs, is it? There has to be something else behind it.

^i guess you didn't read my breakdown...

"OS i fixed the issue on: Windows8 (I suspect this will apply to Win7 and god forbid you are using it, but also Vista), i'm familiar and run Mountain Lion but unfortunately for the purpose of this thread; I only use Protools on that system (sorry Adobe.) -- And further this fix will definitely not apply to Mac (but that doesn't mean it wont leave clues to that issue)"

^and since you didn't read 8 lines into what I put forward im guessing that's also telling of your troubleshooting integrity; but if I were to give MAC advice (which I try not to away from the super basics); it would be the whole... backup the session and session audio files to an external >> clear any types of cache >> uninstall/reinstall the adobe >> load the session from the external >> try to export under clean conditions.

that is under the work-around umbrella if it even helped... i'm guessing you never read this part either:

"I have had some workaround success (not by definition a true fix as all the factors aren't documented or verified -- but hey I have a working theory and I was able to get "Adobe Audition CS6 5.0 build708" to stop crashing on the mixdown operation as is described in this thread) [Spoiler: For my PC, .NET was the issue]"

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 22, 2014 12:58 PM   in reply to DirtyJeyAndTheBoys

I guess you didn't read my breakdown...

^and since you didn't read 8 lines into what I put forward im guessing that's also telling of your troubleshooting integrity; etc...

Oh, I waded through all that...

My troubleshooting ability extends considerably beyond giving the extensive description of a potential solution on a different platform from the one originally mentioned. And it's a crash. Which is why I've suggested that all the people that have this particular Mac-based problem mail the crash reports to the devs, who then might actually be able to resolve the problem. Because, regardless of any other considerations, machines that otherwise run fine shouldn't crash under these circumstances; the devs need the reports, and that's all there is to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 6:44 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

I guess you didn't read my breakdown...

^and since you didn't read 8 lines into what I put forward im guessing that's also telling of your troubleshooting integrity; etc...

Oh, I waded through all that...

My troubleshooting ability extends considerably beyond giving the extensive description of a potential solution on a different platform from the one originally mentioned. And it's a crash. Which is why I've suggested that all the people that have this particular Mac-based problem mail the crash reports to the devs, who then might actually be able to resolve the problem. Because, regardless of any other considerations, machines that otherwise run fine shouldn't crash under these circumstances; the devs need the reports, and that's all there is to it.

^^I think I was pretty descript about the OS and Adobe version... and the relevancy of a PC workaround in this MAC thread I think is proven by how I made my way into this thread in the first place: google search of the error message.

I think thats a pretty standard way for people trying to quickly solve this issue regardless of OS

My original reply wasnt written for adobe devlelopers, or even written for the original poster. Its more so for anybody who found thereselves in my shoes with this particular error, and didn't want to google an answer like "send me the log". I think I might have mentioned that too with the whole "if this helps anyone at all" bit.

I didn't mean you any offense before or now by the way... just saying.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 23, 2014 2:47 AM   in reply to DirtyJeyAndTheBoys

and the relevancy of a PC workaround in this MAC thread I think is proven by how I made my way into this thread in the first place: google search of the error message.

I think thats a pretty standard way for people trying to quickly solve this issue regardless of OS

Okay - but the forum doesn't use Google results to determine the relevance of a reply.

What would be more help (and make it a lot more sense in terms of the forum search, which is going to be more relevant anyway) would be to post information like that in a separate thread with a sensibly searchable title so that it could be uniquely identified as such. Because now all we've got is continuing confusion...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 12:06 PM   in reply to DirtyJeyAndTheBoys

I am having the same issue on a Windows 7 x64 system and while I tried your suggestion with high hopes, It didn't fix the issue. I have Audition cs3 and it works fine. So who knows what the deal is. If any one knows of a way to fix this let me know. Without the availability to export a mixdown this program is effectively useless. Windows or Macs it still crashes and that just isn't going to work. if it helps any here is the output of the crash details:

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
      Application Name:Adobe Audition CS6.exe
      Application Version:5.0.2.7
      Application Timestamp:505806ee
      Fault Module Name:dvaaudiofilterhost.dll
      Fault Module Version:6.0.0.20784
      Fault Module Timestamp:5057f867
      Exception Code:c0000005
      Exception Offset:00078887
      OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Locale ID:1033
      Additional Information 1:0a9e
      Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:0a9e
      Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

EDIT: After last night I got to thinking that this may be an issue with plugins. So I just tried a test session and I was right. If I don't apply any VST plugins to any tracks it will create a mixdown just fine, but when I use any of my VST plugins(which are Waves brand plugins) it will crash even if the plugin is turned off but still applied to the track. I am curious if this hods true for any of the rest of you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 10:40 AM   in reply to Keenny

From your post and your report looks to be as you said like a bad plugin, but I wonder was the .dll incompatible or corrupted. Does that plugin still work on your CS3 (just curious)?

Checking plugins should definitely be one of the first things anybody does (and if that does fix your problem you may want to start removing new plugins from Adobe's list... Last man in first man out kind of thing); here is some basic things anybody should do (as it applies to your OS):

A-reboot and run

B-run without plugins

** this is a good point to review your crash log and any other logging reports you have running to check for a hint. If you haven't done this already this is a good point to slow down and just check the logs before you make any big moves**

C- backup and clear adobes cache and temp files

D- uninstall/reinstall Adobe

** still not working?? This is probably a good time to send your report to Adobe to have an expert opinion on the crash if you haven't already. **

^A-D where all tips specific to the software (even a simple reboot can act to refresh a non responsive driver).

After those and any other software related fix has been exhausted then I would move on to OS specific fixes or work arounds like the one I posted before about maybe checking with the .NET on a Windows machine and other various ideas that are more in a mid range capacity that everybody might not be comfortable with.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 3:21 PM   in reply to DirtyJeyAndTheBoys

So I looked into the compatibility of my plugins, and they are only VST plugins not VST3 plugins. The makers of the plugins said on their website that their VST plugins are not supported on CS6 and therefore I am unable to use them in Audition CS6, they do work in CS3 which I have, so I guess it is upgrade the plugins or downgrade Audition...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 3:55 PM   in reply to Keenny

Can you tell us which plugins these are?  Audition CS6 support VST2.4 and VST3 effects.  If they scan and are available in the effects lists, they should be compatible.  (Now, whether they are functional or stable is a completely different matter, as even expensive, big-name plug-ins can often be poorly written or way out of spec.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 4:16 PM   in reply to _durin_

Sure they are old Waves plugins version 5.2. As I said they are according to  Waves not supported on newer versions of Audition. Now I just need to decide whether to pop for the current versions. I guess you always hope that stuff you buy will last forever...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points