Skip navigation
BigDaddy1965
Currently Being Moderated

RAW file problem with Nikon D7100

Mar 26, 2013 12:47 PM

Tags: #raw

Ijust purchased a Nikon D7100, and I'm unable to upload and edit RAW files(NEF) in Lightroom 3.6. Nikon provided no help. Can anyone offer a solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to BigDaddy1965

Wait for Adobe to release a version of LR that is compatible, probably LR 4.4 in the next few days or weeks, although if there is something difficult about adding support, which there shouldn’t be, perhaps a later version.

In the mean time you can shoot RAW+JPG to have immediate access to the JPG version of the image to adjust, and later access to the raw files for important images.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to BigDaddy1965

If you are insistent upon staying in Lightroom 3.x, the next release (or so) of the free Adobe DNG Converter may offer the option to support the conversion of Nikon D7100 to Adobe's DNG format which is backward compatible with previous versions of Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to BigDaddy1965

As of today, Nikon D7100 RAW photos are not supported by Lightroom 4. We expect that to change in the future.

If you want to use your D7100 RAW photos in Lightroom 4, convert them to TIF using Nikon software that came with the camera, and then import the TIF into Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Have you downloaded the Codec from Nikon. I use both Windows Vista and Windows 7. I downloaded the Codec of the Nikon D7100 yesterday and installed it and I don't have the latest Capture NX, I have the original I brought shortly after buying my D200. I can now use the D7100 files directly into my Capture NX software. ViewNX gives you the basics of Raw editing but Capture NX gives you the advantage of using the U point system. I found this out purely by accident. If you can download the Codec free of charge and pick up a cheap old Capture NX  you can get all your EXIF data as well as lense data without any issues.. The Camera companies pay Adobe a license fee for using the Adobe Gamma in their cameras so why should they pay more for file format. Adobe is very protective over its intellectual property so why not with Canon or Nikon. They comply with the consumer trade agreements on EXIF and image authentication. Nikon have cameras in Space which is more than Adobe ever dreamt of. So file format has little or nothing to do with compatibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Jeff A

Jeff A wrote:

The Camera companies pay Adobe a license fee for using the Adobe Gamma in their cameras so why should they pay more for file format.

Uh, not sure where you heard this, but it's completel hogwash...first off, what the heck is Adobe Gamma? It used to be a display gamma adjuster like 8-10 yars ago. So, what are you talking about? And, DNG is a proposed raw file format standard that requires no fees to use. It's free...Nikon and Canon could employ it for the cost of doing their own engineering.

Would be useful to eliminate the FUD...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points