Skip navigation
Tanyahide
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting project to external hard drive

Mar 26, 2013 2:43 PM

I am wanting to export my completed project to external hard drive for viewing on my tv.Project is way too big for dvd.Can someone please help?I am using PE10 on a Mac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Tanyahide

I am a PC-only user, so there might be some Mac-things that I will be missing. However, I very often have my entire Project, including the media, Scratch Disks and Exports one a FireWire-800 (IEEE-1394b) external HDD, so that I can migrate the Project between my various computers. Using that equipment, I have never had any issues.

Now, going back to earlier days, I did have issues with Exports to USB 2.0 externals. I was not alone. The connection was just too slow, and the OS would go crazy, when Premiere would be trying to force more bytes across the USB 2.0 link, than the connection could handle. I, and many others, got the dreaded Delayed Write Failure, and in two cases, those killed the external. They had to be given a low-level format, then the OS format (NTSF in my case).

• What problems have you encountered?
    • What is the connection type for your external?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to Tanyahide

Go to Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237 and just set your output to your external... would be my best guess

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Tanyahide

OK, the external is working (hope that the USB 2.0 does not become a problem), the file is on the external and will play on your computer, but not with your TV's. In the instruction manuals for the TV's, are any details given on what types of files, with which specs., they require?

My first guess would be that there is something wrong in the Export/Share settings, and the TV's are just not able to process the files.

Unfortunately, some equipment mfgrs. will just say something like "plays MP4 files," but do not go into more detail than that. There can be all sorts of potential issues, from the Audio included, to the Bit-Rate chosen. If you can track down details on what the TV's WILL play, someone here can probably help you figure out which settings will work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to Tanyahide

>tv doesn't recognize the external.

Try with a USB memory stick plugged into the USB port on your TV

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to Tanyahide

Tanyahide wrote:

Thanks.Will check it out.

Sent from my iPad

Tanya,

If you are still following this, I have something to add.

I have been trying various ways to play top quality HD video on my 3 HD TVs of different brands.  One is seven years old and one is brand new.  Each has a brand matching Blu-Ray player.  Two are supposed to play from USB devices plugged into them. 

Results vary a lot.  Certain files work on one and not the other.

The only univesally successful and easy method has been with the use of a Western Digital "WD TV Live".  It is a small box that is known for and reviewed for it's ablilty to play nearly every known media file in use into an HD TV via an HDMI cord.  It will read from any USB HDD, card reader or memory stick.  It will also stream Netflix and YouTube, but that is not as important.

Bill S

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points