Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing tiff Files

Mar 26, 2013 3:24 PM

I have downloaded some text files that were in a tiff format.  I opened the files in PSE9 and converted the file to an Adobe RGB color profile so that I could highlight some text in color; the highlighting edit works fine.

However, the editor will not allow me to make adjustments in the light levels to sharpen up the text.  When I adjust the light levels, I see changes in the thumbnail image, but the image in the Editor window will not change.

Is there something about tiff files that are incompatible with PSE9?  I have saved it as psd file and the light level adjustments still will not work.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to Bob Ward

Are your files in 16 bit mode?  If so, you'd have to change them to 8 bits to be able to use all of Elements' functions.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 27, 2013 1:21 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

Image >> Mode >> 8 Bits/Channel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:47 AM   in reply to 99jon

I use tiff on a regular basis with no problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 27, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

Are you trying to edit an adjustment layer or text layer rather than the background image? If so try:

Layer >> Flatten Image

Then try the lighting adjustment on the flattened image.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

If the 8 bit mode is grayed out it means that the image is already in 8 bit mode.  Otherwise it makes no difference what file format the image is in once it opens in Elements.

I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do and which tools you are using.  If you have a plain text file in raster format you cannot edit the text itself.  How are you highlighting and / or trying to adjust the light levels? You should be able to manipulate certain areas of the text by selecting them and, for instance, colorize them right on the background layer.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to Bob Ward

I just opend the original tiff file again and converted it from bitmap to grayscale mode.

Bob,

In order to make the adjustments / edits you are describing your file should be in RGB mode.  If the file is in Bitmap or Grayscale when you first open it in Elements you need to change it to RGB and then do your editing.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to Bob Ward

Is this a file anyone might be able to download?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to Bob Ward

Adobe RGB is the color profile, which is not the same as the color mode. You need to go back to image>mode and choose RGB as the basic color mode before you can make your adjustments. The modes relevant to this part are: RGB, Grayscale, Bitmap, Index color. Of those four, it has to be RGB. Assigning sRGB or Adobe RGB will not change a grayscale image into an RGB image.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

Don't convert to pdf. Try using irfanview to open and resave it, or Preview if you have a mac. Converting to PDF does undesirable things to image formats.

If the image was originally a real bitmap as adobe uses the term, i.e. an image with no shades of gray (as opposed to just a .bmp image), it may be that the adjustments won't hold because there are no shades of gray, nothing but pure black and white, so nothing to lighten or darken.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

Well, maybe. If there was anything in the original file, but if the creator set it to bitmap color mode, no, changing the format doesn't really add anything that wasn't there before. It's likely the creator of the image set it to bitmap to clean it up, and all you can really do is sharpen it at this point, or change the mode to RGB and use hue/saturation to colorize it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to Bob Ward

It really doesn't. It just kind of takes the image out of the standard color spaces and usually softens it so that you may get some grays from the melted edges of the letters. You may be able to get the same kind of blur by saving as a jpeg, but you won't lose the bitmap tag automatically by doing that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points