Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to connect metadata automatically as a filter for keywords?

Mar 26, 2013 7:31 PM

Under my metadata I already have things such as Country and City put in or a label such as Family. I would like to be able to use my Filter/Keywords tab to find files that are already labelled as such from my metadata. For example of China or of my sister.         As I understand Bridge to be now the only way I can use the filter is for me to go to each file and start adding keywords such as country, etc. BUT I already have them under my metadata; is there no way of just making whatever is under the 'Metadata' tab for say, Country-China to appear as part of my keyword?

Or let me put it in other words, just in case my exaplanation was not good. Under my metadata tab on the right-hand side and under the  'Country' listing I have about 500 photos that say USA and about half those under 'State/Provice' say Florida , and about 500 that say Italy. These labels are not labelled under "Keywords' tab but under the Metadata tab. So if I I want to quickly search for and see only those that say Italy, what do I do? If I understand Bridge correctly, as things are now there is no way of me finding just the Italy pictures since there are no photos that have been given 'Italy' as a key word? Am I correct? If I am corerct then to begin to add keywords to all of my thousands of photos will take forever. Certainly there must be a better way since they have already been labelled under 'Metadata" Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to pintree3

Filter has limited possibilites.  You can do a lot more with Find.  There you can search across folders and for different metadata.  There is even a logic part at the bottom so if you use more than one line you can exclude items in search.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 1:47 AM   in reply to pintree3

The problem with "Find" is that if I do a search for ex, files I want of the USA in other words type 'usa' in the search field i will also get files like, "susan" since the letters 'usa' are within the words 'susan.

You have to explore the options for the criteria a bit more. Each field with the small up and down arrow gives you more choices. If you use USA in combination with contains than it finds all the words with usa, if choosing 'equals' as option then only usa is found.

using the plus sign creates a new line with new options, and so on, and so on.

As to, "There is even a logic part at the bottom so if you use more than one line you can exclude items in search." I have no clue as to what you mean. "what's a 'logic part'? And  Where "at the bottom" and if I use 'more than one line" what does this mean? more than 1 line of what and where and how? Thanks again

What Curt meant was that your wanted options for finding files using more then one keyword is here. When you use more then one line (using the plus sign to create extra options) you can choose for 'if any criteria are met' meaning all files containing one or more of the searched keywords are found.

choosing for 'if all criteria are met' result in only the files that contain all searched keywords together.

The option to include all subfolders enable you to choose your complete pictures folder as a source to search in and the result of all deep down hidden subfolders will also be included.

including non indexed files is slower but that is only the first time. I believe in CS6 Indexing for parent folder is automatically when start using Bridge but the first time you use this it starts to build metadata info for files you did not already have cached before. If you use the main parent folder as source you should use this option for a correct result.

In your case you might look for the keywords you want and use any criteria and this provides you with the files from all locations together in the content panel. Then you could refine the result using the filter panel.

If you have info in the IPTC description you can choose that under criteria or use "all metadata". This would provide you with a result showing all files containing Italy in the description field.

If you want also add Italy as a keyword to those files create a new keyword in the keyword panel, select all the files you want to change, hit the checkmark and let Bridge save the files first before starting an other session.

As soon as the activity bar bottom left starts running you should wait for it to complete because otherwise adding a new series of keywords will stop the current process and start the new one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points