Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Graphics Cards (What will work? - Minimum to Run CS6)

Mar 26, 2013 9:22 PM

Tags: #graphics #edit #installing #workflow #graphics_cards

Hi,

The community has been quite helpful so far, thanks!

I am looking purchase Premiere CS6 and will be running it on a machine with an AMD Phenom II 6 core processor with 8 gigs of ram. The video card is a 2 gig Radeon model, not on the supported list for graphics acceleration. Will it work at all, or do I need to have a new graphics card (I don't care about GPU acceleration)? The rest of my setup meets or exceeds minimum requirements.

Keep in mind that I am not doing much in the way of effects etc, just newsreel type shoots and interviews for my portfolio. CS6 is the only version available at my school at a discount and will be going to the cloud service in May, so I want to act now and secure a copy to use over the next couple years.

Thanks,

CM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 1:21 AM   in reply to cmaga123

I would keep the current card and continue saving for a new Intel system. The benefit for this type of editing of a CUDA card is marginal at best and you would profit more from more memory, but then more memory can not be ported to a new system and the AMD CPU is the real bottleneck. All AMD X6 systems belong to the bottom 25% performers or worse in the CS6 benchmark.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to cmaga123

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to cmaga123

That is a nonsense comparison. Compare the FX-8350 (€ 185) to an Intel of about the same price and you have to compare to at least the i5-3470 (€ 170), the i5-3570 (€ 180) or the i5-3570K (€ 195). Then you compare equally expensive CPU's and yes, the i5-3470 is about two times faster, the 3570 and 3570K even more.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to cmaga123

http://youtu.be/BJLIwxaaiyA

Your system should work OK but you will be editing at half resolution instead of full resolution when using AVCHD. You might want to watch the video link. An i7 and inexpensive GT 640 would work good for editing native AVCHD but a GTX 650 Ti would be even better.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to cmaga123

cmaga123 wrote:

So, does a Core 2 or I3 do better on the benchmark? Keep in mind that I'm not setting out to do heavy "graphic" editing or effects. Just simple journalistic/documentary style.

In this case, no. The Core 2 is totally outdated, and cannot be bought new any more (the Socket LGA 775 platform it uses is now totally EOL). The Core i3 (even the latest Ivy Bridge model) has only two physical cores with no Turbo Boost, and thus would perform no faster than your current Phenom II X6.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to medeamajic

medeamajic wrote:

Your system should work OK but you will be editing at half resolution instead of full resolution when using AVCHD. You might want to watch the video link. An i7 and inexpensive GT 640 would work good for editing native AVCHD but a GTX 650 Ti would be even better.

Both of those GPUs are a bit unbalanced with an i7 CPU, primarily due to their relatively low graphics memory bandwidth: 28.5 GB/s and 86.4 GB/s, respectively. However, there is a new version of the GTX 650 Ti that was just introduced: the GTX 650 Ti Boost (make sure that it specifically says "Boost" after the "GTX 650 Ti"). That GPU has the same 768 CUDA cores as the regular GTX 650 Ti, but with much greater memory bandwidth (144 GB/s versus 86.4 GB/s).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to cmaga123

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition

Maybe take a look at that camera.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to RjL190365

RjL190365 wrote:

medeamajic wrote:

Both of those GPUs are a bit unbalanced with an i7 CPU, primarily due to their relatively low graphics memory bandwidth: 28.5 GB/s and 86.4 GB/s, respectively. However, there is a new version of the GTX 650 Ti that was just introduced: the GTX 650 Ti Boost (make sure that it specifically says "Boost" after the "GTX 650 Ti"). That GPU has the same 768 CUDA cores as the regular GTX 650 Ti, but with much greater memory bandwidth (144 GB/s versus 86.4 GB/s).

You are incorrect about the GTX 650 Ti. It can play back several layers of track matttes using native AVCHD at full resolution. The GTX 650 Ti GPU is infact bottlenecked by the CPU. The i7 will choke and be 100% after four layers of native AVCHD. The GPU of the GTX 650 Ti could easily play back 8 PIPs of native AVCHD provided the i7 CPU could decode that many layers but it cannot. Keep in mind the original poster of this thread is not going to be doing a lot of fancy effects. Having said that the GT 640 might be a better buy based on the users needs. I agree the GTX 650 Ti Boost would peform better than the standard GTX 650 Ti but the i7 would be the bottle neck not the GTX 650 Ti. I just wanted to correct the miss information.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to cmaga123

I think you wasted your money there: Performance-wise, the FX-6100 is actually a downgrade from your former Phenom II X6 in most areas. This is due to the way Bulldozer CPUs work: In effect, it functions as only a tri-core CPU with AMD's "equivalent" of hyperthreading. In addition, the Bulldozer CPUs implement SSE 4.1 instructions in a very slow manner. No wonder why a PC based on even an "eight-core" FX-8350 (even heavily overclocked) performs no faster than an Intel i5 CPU-based PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to medeamajic

medeamajic wrote:

You are incorrect about the GTX 650 Ti. It can play back several layers of track matttes using native AVCHD at full resolution. The GTX 650 Ti GPU is infact bottlenecked by the CPU. The i7 will choke and be 100% after four layers of native AVCHD. The GPU of the GTX 650 Ti could easily play back 8 PIPs of native AVCHD provided the i7 CPU could decode that many layers but it cannot. Keep in mind the original poster of this thread is not going to be doing a lot of fancy effects. Having said that the GT 640 might be a better buy based on the users needs. I agree the GTX 650 Ti Boost would peform better than the standard GTX 650 Ti but the i7 would be the bottle neck not the GTX 650 Ti. I just wanted to correct the miss information.

While what you stated may be true for HD-to-HD exports, some editors downconvert HD to SD for DVD. And it is there where the GTX 650 Ti falls short. This is because such downconversions make some use of the GPU acceleration (whereas AVCHD viewing/playback without any effects applied makes practically no use of GPU acceleration; in fact, such playback operations for viewing use the CPU almost entirely).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points