Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I cannot save my document

Mar 26, 2013 9:58 PM

Tags: #cs5 #cannot_save

I have been working on a 120 page document for weeks in InDesign CS5, saving it over and over again and all of a sudden I can no longer save it. Everything in the file dropdown menu is black except the 5 items under close: save, save as, check in, save a copy and revert, which are all light grey and non functional.  The only thing I did that was different, was touching the tab button to move text (old habit from microsoft word) and it deleted the selected section of text. I then tried to undo the delete with command z and that no longer worked. It appears as if I can do everything except the undo and save.  I am working on a brand new Macbook Pro (few months old) and just started learning the Indesign program 2 months ago.  Lorle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to LorleECampos

In a situation like this, your best bet is to force quit and restart InDesign and let the autorecovery reopen the file. Then Save AS with a new name and continue, or export to .idml, then open that and save with a new name. If the auto recovery doesn't allow you to save, force quit again, then see Replace Your Preferences for directions to find and rename the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData files (these are hidden files on your mac, so if you don't know how to access your user library, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion), then try restarting ID again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 3:25 AM   in reply to LorleECampos

As a follow-up, you said "I have been working on a 120 page document for weeks in InDesign CS5, saving it over and over again..." Unless you do a Save AS all of the change information from previous editing is saved in the file. This is usefule during the current editing session for undo, but once the file has been closed and reopened the changes from previous sessions are no longer accessible and are useless file bloat that can cause trouble over time.

If it's not already your habit, you should try to remember to do a Save AS before closing the file, and on a long project I usually save as a new name, generally some sort of versioning, which gives a backup chain in case something like this goes wrong. Better to lose a day than the whole thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to LorleECampos

As Peter says, backups and versions are very important and you don't think about it until something like this happens. I personally recommend keeping current projects in a dropbox folder. I wrote a blog post a while back you might find interesting: http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-sho uld-too/

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to LorleECampos

is that a typo and you meant the file extension is .idlk? That would be the lock file for an open document, and should be in the same location as the document file. various sources say .inlk is also an ID lock file, but I've never seen one. Perhaps an InCopy lock?

In any case no, that doesn't affect the instructions, though it sounds like you probably do need to repalce the prefs, though I would prefer to have you do that after successfully closing all your files if you can.

I know this is scary, but it's the best hope you have of salvaging anything, and if it doesn't work, at least you wont be any worse off than you are now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to LorleECampos

Great news.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers