Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Guidelines for adding files

Mar 27, 2013 4:32 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Community Help

why can't I produce a dvd of a slide show with the images clear and not fuzzy?  The original images are sharp but I just can't reproduce them

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to ChrisJ41

First, have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

Second, it's important to realize that Premiere Elements is a VIDEO  editor. So any slide shows you create are going to be at video resolution. That's either a 720x480 pixel DVD or a 1920x1080 BluRay. These resolutions are likely a fraction of what your original images were, so your video slideshow is never going to look as clear or as detailed as your original photos.

How are you sharing your slideshow? There may be a program more apt for your needs.

How are you judging the clarity? On a TV, your DVD should look as good as possible. (Computer screens have much higher resolution than TVs.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to Community Help

Attempting to import videos from hard drive however when I get into the folder I receive a message saying no file available. as stated above in regard to Windows Media Player....  If you can play back your file in the player application, you can usually use that file in Premiere Elements. I can play my files there without problem. Some of my video files are MPG and some are MOV........I am aware of issues with MPG however I am also having same problem importing photos from my library.....any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I have thousands of photos is there anyway to import many files at a time???? Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to SMcHannan

SMcHannan

Could you please supply additional information?

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating sytem?

Where are these video files coming from and what are their properties? MPG and MOV are just file extensions (wrapper formats for the file). What video and audio compression are involved?

Can we assume that your photos have been cropped and/or resized according to typical recommendations: 1000 x 750 pixels for SD and 2200 x 1238 for HD? If not, what are the pixel dimensions of the photos and how many of them are there in the project?

How are you importing these source media (video and photos) and from what drive if other than Local Disk C?

On what drive is your Library located? Do you mean Windows Libraries/Pictures and Video Folders or your personal Library that you have created and placed on one of your computer hard drives? If so, which one?

Could you please clarify about messages received and from where after you click on Get Media (versions earlier than 11) or Add Media (version 11)?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to SMcHannan

If you can play back your file in the player application, you can usually use that file in Premiere Elements.

I added the emphasis to the word "usually," because there are many exceptions. In very general terms, playability can be useful in determining editability, but playability is not a guarantee of editability. The CODEC contained within the AV file's format (think of that as a "wrapper") will determine both the playability and the editability of the file(s).

There are basically three general types of CODEC's:

1. Those used for playability - most CODEC's
    2. Those used for Encoding - a smaller subset
    3. Those used for editing - an even smaller subset and highly dependent on the NLE (Non Linear Editor) program used

An example of 1 & 2 working perfectly is the DivX CODEC. When properly installed, it can be used for playback, and can be used by Premiere (the NLE example that I will use here) to Encode. However, DivX is designed as a streaming media, delivery-only CODEC, so that even if it works for the first two situations, it is unlikely that Premiere can Import and edit those files properly - there are usually problems from dynamic OOS (Out Of Sync), to only the Audio portion being available.

This FAQ Entry goes into much more detail on CODEC's, and has some useful links to other informative articles: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Testing an AV file for playability is a good first step, but it is ONLY a first step. The second step is to use a file information utility, like G-Spot, or MediaInfo (Windows), or Media Inspector (Mac). The first bit of information that one would look for would be the CODEC used in the file, and then the disposition of that CODEC, i.e. is it properly installed in the OS?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points