Skip navigation
deanreevesii
Currently Being Moderated

Disabling "Type on a Path"

Mar 27, 2013 8:24 AM

Is there a way to disable this function?

I regularly have to edit text within a grid of lines in illustrator. I can replace/edit text zoomed out, but when I try the cursor automatically changes to the type on a path tool. I then have to zoom in, edit text, zoom back out thousands of times a day. It would save me a bunch of time if I could set the type tool to ignore paths and only select text.

I could take the grid of lines on the files I'm working on and send them to back and lock them, but I am dealing with tens of thousands of files, and it's just not practical.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of type on a path, or at least prevent Illustrator from automatically switching to that tool when I hover the type tool over a path?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to deanreevesii

Have your text on a separate layer and lock the other layers while you are editing the type.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to deanreevesii

Select > Object > Text objects

Then create a new layer and move them there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to deanreevesii

There is no good way to disable type on the path tool. There should be, it should be a separate subtool that never comes up automatically, or at least a setting to make it behave like that. Most instances of its usage are accidental.

Stopgap solutions involve locking or hiding objects, making sure your text objects are on top, and working more zoomed in than you want to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points