Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Linking a TOC to pages in CS6

Mar 27, 2013 9:15 AM

I was looking at a tutorial for doing this but it explains having a floating TOC and it is linking text only. I need to take the TOC in an .indd file and link the text to each page for an interactive pdf.

anyone?

thzx

RD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to mentlity

Isn't that what ToC does already? Down in the bottom left side, you tick on the switch for Create PDF Bookmarks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to mentlity

Check the box, export (with the box to include bookmarks checked), open PDF....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to mentlity

If you select Create PDF Bookmarks when you make the TOC, they will be there inthePDF when you export, as long as you chhose to include them during export. That's all there is to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to mentlity

Where did this first TOC come from?

It sounds to me like you need to delete it (and probably the frames that contained it, if it was created using ID's TOC module). Once it is gone, generate the new TOC and place it wherever you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to mentlity

Your Table of Contents was not generated through the TOC function/process, it was manually created, and manually created TOCs do not have links automatically generated for a PDF. There is a TOC that is created, but is not used in the table contents. And for this one to work correctly, I had to export IDML first, then open and export.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to mentlity

I'm looking at the sample file....

The existing TOC is probably typed by hand. I can't find any sort of cross-refernces or other features that would make it auto-update, and ID does not think it's a TOC, so it's probably useless (I can't read it) EXCEPT as a formatting guide.

I think your mistake was in reading the styles used inside the existing "TOC" and trying to use those to build the real thing. Those styles are not the styles you want to pick up, but rather are the styles that have been applied to the text inside the TOC. You need to look at examples of waht has been included, find that text in the book, and check the style applied there. THAT'S the style you need to include, and then you apply the style used in the existing list to those entries.

If you are not able to read this language, I suggest that you should not be doing the job. I say this because it is evident to me that the orignal assignment of styles is not set up properly to create the TOC if you expect a replication of what is there. I'm seeing additional entries from page 1 that probably don't belong, which means that text should either be restyled with a duplicate style that has a different name or you need to delete them manually from the TOC after generation, and at least one listing that is a single line in the original is coming in as two entries in the ID generated list.

Beyond that, if I remove what's there now (I just moved it to the pasteboard) and use ID's TOC to build a new list, the bookmarks are properly included in an exported PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to mentlity

For a TOC, you need to have a paragraph style that will be used exclusively for TOC entries. In your document: page 7 "Att vara en livskonstnär" is applied the style "Rubrik 1 Kapitel". But there is additional text applied this style and will be placed within the TOC. Once you have TOC entries styled correctly, go to Layout > Table of Contents. You want to select the correct style and add to the left column. Note: you can add more than one style. Then select the style the entry will be formatted. More Options button will allow additional formatting of the TOC. Once completed, you will have a loaded text cursor that you will flow onto the appropiate page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to mentlity

No, not really.

ID's TOC goes through your file and adds listings for any paragraph that was tagged with one of the styles you include. You have the option of using the same paragraph style for the listing in the TOC (not usually waht you want), or applying anew style to that text inside the TOC itself by picking a new paragraph style in the dropdown labeled Entry Style (If you don't see all the fields, click the More Options button):

TOC Setup.png

The suggestion that you need to rename a style isn't that the style needs a new name, its that there is other text in the publication that has one of the styles you want to include assigned to it, so it also is appearing in the TOC. This is caused by a lack of planning or poor understanding of how to build a TOC on the part of the designer who set up the file originally.

I've been palying a bit more, and things might be a bit worse than I originally thought. The excess listings are from the title page, and all of the text on that page has a single style applied, then modified using local formatting, instead of setting up styles for those paragargraphs. That style is also used for all the level 1 headings Some of which are broken across multiple lines now as separate paragraphs which is what makes the extra listings for waht should be single lines), which you do seem to want to include, so the proper thing to do is create, and apply, new styles for the text on the title page (or remove the styles completly from that text, which is done by selecting the text and choosing Break Link to Style from the Paragraph Styles panel flyout menu).

Also included in the existing TOC seems to be a chapter title of some sort that is in the header on the master page. That will not get pulled in unless you override the frame that contains it onto the document page, and it looks to me like the intent is to have only the first occurrence of that text in each section included. An alternative to overriding the master frame is to add a new frame onthe page, make it non-printing, and add the text you want to include (and I'd use s differnt paragraph style made just for that).

There are level tow headings of some sort on some of the pages that don't seem to be included in the TOC, but I can't tell for sure if there are any other styles that should be included since your sample only goes to page 11 and I can't check the referenced text on other pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to mentlity

OK we cross-posted here. It seems pretty clear that you didn't understand what I was saying earlier about the existing TOC. You cannot use it to make new bookmarks and it has absolutley no value to you other than as a reference tool. You can use it to find the text in the book, then check the style that is applied to that text -- on the page in the book where it appears. That style is one that you now want to include in the TOC. Now look at the style applied to that line in the reference TOC and use that as the style you will apply to listings from from the style you just added to the TOC by chossing it in the Listing Style dropdown.

The problem with your new TOC is you made and applied styles to the listings in the old TOC. Those styles don't appear in the book, only in the old TOC, so that's waht the new bookmarks point to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to mentlity

That's exactly what should be happening if you do this right. Click an entry in your TOC and the PDF should switch to that page. Did you try this?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to mentlity

The bookmarks go to the page on which each listing is found in the document, not the TOC page itself.

Once the old TOC is gone, go to Layout > Table of Contents....

In that dialog add the styles for those things you want to list in your new TOC (and check the add bookmark box), then assign any new styles to the listings and do other formatting tasks if you need to (basically go through the whole dialog for each style you are going to add). When you click OK ID will give you a loaded cursor with your TOC story. Click where you want it. Export to PDF and see where the bookmarks take you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to mentlity

That's the justification settings in the style. Change it to left aligned.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points