• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open PSD file to layers in Illustrator CS6 for editing?

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to edit a Photoshop PSD file that has layers.

I believe vector lines can be edited in Photoshop but I only have PS Elements and can only edit the text.

I do have Illustrator CS6 but when I open the PSD file it will not open to separate layers, even if I choose this in the open options.

Maybe Illustrator cannot do this?

Can anyone advise please?

Thank you,

Mike.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Illustrator cannot do this?

You got it surrounded...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Photoshop open layered files created in Illustrator, out of interest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you cannot open layers in Illustrator from Photoshop. Photoshop is a raster based program and Illustrator is vector. A Photoshop .eps is not a true eps like you get in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not entirely true, if you use File > Place and the psd has layers, Illustrator will open the 'Photoshop Import Options' dialogue box, here you can choose to convert layers to objects and this brings in the layers, however some types of layers won't import separately and come in rasterised. If your text layers are truly still text they will come in as text layers. Remember the whole imported file will be group and possibly have clipping paths attached which you will need to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can work on vectors in each program but they are not really interchangable?

Although I can export as PSD from Illustrator - will PS read the layered files though?

What about EPS?

Can PS export as .ai?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hemmickreef wrote:

Although I can export as PSD from Illustrator - will PS read the layered files though?

If you set up the file accordingly: yes.

You have to take special care of some stuff. Search for it on this forum or the manual. It has been discussed here.

hemmickreef wrote:

What about EPS?

Forget about EPS. And especially in this context.

hemmickreef wrote:

Can PS export as .ai?

Yes, but only clipping masks. And only simple paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can.  I do it all the time. It's always nice to see people say no "it's impossible" when YES, it is possible.

Monika is correct, do a search for how to set up PSD layers for AI.  I do it all the time and have never had a complaint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines