Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Having problem w/ PSE 8, activation

Mar 27, 2013 2:12 PM

Tags: #8 #deactivation #activation #photoshop_elements_8

Recently, my aging MacBook Pro (2,2) died suddenly. The logic board must've given out.

I bought a refurbished late-2012 iMac from Apple direct. Since the MBP was so old, and the iMac was essentially brand-new, I had to make sure everything transferring over and worked.

I had a technician-friend extract the MacBook Pro's hard drive and I used Apple's Setup Assistant to transfer over everything, including the user folder and the applications.

Then I ran into trouble with PSE 8. It kept telling me that I had to deactiviate the software on every other machine before I could launch it on this one.

According to other discussions in this forum, PSE 8 is the last version with Adobe Bridge included. Therefore, I do not want to upgrade to a newer version of PSE.

I tried un-installing and re-insalling PSE 8 on my refurbished iMac from the Adobe installation disc, but it had problems with Bridge and other things. It gives me the same trolling "Sorry we can't activate" song and dance.

All the data transferred over flawlessly from the (recovered) hard drive to the iMac. MS Office, my e-mail, keychain, etc. work fine.

I need to know what to do about PSE 8.

MY (FORMER) HARDWARE

MacBook Pro 2,2 (2.33 GHz Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD)

MacOS 10.6.8.

MY (NEW) HARDWARE

Refurbished iMac (2.9 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, USB Apple SuperDrive))

MacOS 10.8.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to walt.atwood@gmail.com

You will need to contact activation support:

http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

You can usually start a chat session in that window and get it taken care of right then.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to walt.atwood@gmail.com

But did you go to activation? That is not the same as general support.

Nobody but the activation people can clear up activation issues, and activation support is not limited to current versions. Please go to the link in my previous post. They are the ONLY people who can solve this. We are just other customers like you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to walt.atwood@gmail.com

Try again. You got an idiot.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to walt.atwood@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to walt.atwood@gmail.com

Yes, that's right. You can't update bridge as much as you can update the raw converter in PSE itself. In the Creative Suite programs (which Bridge is), adobe has always been very strict about cutting off all updates as soon as a new version is released, so for Bridge CS4 you're limited to ACR versions available prior to the release of Bridge CS 5, while updating PSE has been much more flexible. Usually adobe has only cut off updates for an older version of PSE when they make enough changes in a new version of ACR that it isn't able to be used with older versions.

For Bridge you can go to Help>Updates and hopefully that will still work to update ACR.

For PSE, you will need to manually replace the existing plug-in. The readme should give the file path.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points