Skip navigation
Drinapop
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign 5 - Transparent objects change colour when PDF/X

Mar 27, 2013 5:17 PM

Tags: #color #pdf #transparency

So I have this brochure that has suddenly taken on a life of its own.

When I pdf/x the cyan blue with an opacity of 25 changes to a deeper blue and the shadows of some lettering change to pinker shades but only on my computer it seems as when someone else in my work place opens the pdf, the colours all come out correct.

However if I change the transperency blend space from CMYK to RGB and pdf it just as a high quality pdf the colours come out accurate on my screen

This is driving me crazy and I started fiddling with the colour settings and profiles which hasn't helped (possibly made things worse) as I wasn't really sure what I was doing.

Also in a moment of desperation, I uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign which didn't fix it.

Relatively new to InDesign and am hating that I can't figure this out!

This is on a Windows 7 computer

Please help.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 28, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Drinapop

However if I change the transperency blend space from CMYK to RGB

Your cyan blue color must be RGB right? The PDF/X standards include an Output Intent which is a CMYK profile, so when you open the PDF in AcrobatPro the default color simulation is a soft proof to the output intent and any out-of-gamut RGB colors would be brought into the simulation profile's color space. Your co-workers might be viewing in a recent version of Acrobat Reader, which doesn't simulate the output intent

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to Drinapop

Drinapop wrote:

And when I hover over it with the window 'info' open it confirms it is CMYK in colour

In ID you can't read color in the info panel by "hovering," as far as I know. You need to select the object. Are you reading the color in the Separations Preview? That only gives CMYK values.

Is this color defined by an existing swatch? If not, add unnamed colors from the swatches panel flyout menu. How is the swatch defined?

It is possible that you've changed the profiles, but I wouldn't expect the kind of RGB to CMYK shift you describe with most CMYK to CMYK conversions. Do you have an old version of the file from which you can read the profile information (and maybe the swatch definition)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 2, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to Drinapop

And when I hover over it with the window 'info' open it confirms it is CMYK in colour

The Info panel shows the color space of placed images when they are selected. Is your  color in a placed image?

To illustrate Peter's post, you have to select an ID object and look at the Color Panel to see its color space.

Screen shot 2013-04-02 at 10.06.27 AM.png

Separation Preview shows how an RGB color converts to CMYK

Screen shot 2013-04-02 at 10.06.43 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 2, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to Drinapop

Can you post the ID file so we can take a look? You don't need to include fonts or art.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 8, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to Drinapop

You have to use aservice like dropbox or you can email it to me zipatzenodesigndotcom

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 8, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Make sure you turn on Overprint or Separation Preview when you are choosing transparency—it will show you a more accurate soft proof and match your PDF/X softproof.

Here's ID and PDF/X-4 in Acrobat, the bottom capture has ID's Overprint/Separation turned off and you can see the pink shadow you are worried about in ID:

Screen shot 2013-04-08 at 6.26.20 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-04-08 at 6.26.34 PM.png

If this is going to press definately don't use an RGB transparency blend space otherwise your text on page 8 will convert to 4-color, which will create a registration problem.

Also there is a spot color in your swatches panel (Cyan copy) which you want to delete.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points