Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro's #1 missing feature

Mar 27, 2013 5:39 PM

Tags: #keywords #fcpx #organization #smart_organization #fcp7 #subclips #final_cut_pro #final_cut_pro_x #final_cut_pro_7

I just sent the following FR to Adobe.  I believe it's the single biggest thing missing in PP.  If you agree that this would help your workflow, please support these ideas by reposting them in your own FRs here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

Any tweaks you would suggest for an event better workflow?  Please share!

Cheers

FCPX and FCP7-style subclip creation

How would you like the feature to work?

FCPX-style subclips:

1. 1. Ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to Bins (e.g. numbers 0-9 on keypad).
  2. 2. While playing a clip in the Source Monitor, hitting one or more of these shortcuts would automatically send the whole clip or its marked in/out range to the linked Bin(s), without interrupting playback.
  3. 3. For easy reference, Bins with a shortcut could display the shortcut in the Bin's name.  For example, a Bin named 'Interviews' would automatically appear as 'Interviews {1}' if associated with that shortcut.

FCP7-style subclips:

1. 1. Ability to drag/drop trimmed clips from the Timeline back into one or more Bin, together with any associated effects and keyframes.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to be useful, these subclips would have to maintain flexible in/out points (i.e. ability to trim in/out points out to the clip's original duration)

Why is this feature important to you?

Being able to organize/search for partial clips in the Project window is much better than doing so in the Timeline since Bins are: keyword searchable, sortable, and viewable in 2 modes (Icon or List view). But most of all, easy subclip creation would help keep the Timeline free of all non immediately-relevant media, since any clips for later use could be stored in Bins instead of in the Timeline.

The lack of any easy, flexible and intelligent subclip creation/organization in PP remains it's biggest shortcoming, IMO.  PP's current method of creating subclips - that can't be created on the fly from the Source Monitor, can't contain imbedded effects/keyframes, and can't have flexible in/out points - is of little real world use.

Adding FCPX and FCP7-style subclip creation/organization in Premiere Pro would make editing easier for most, if not all, editors: including documentary filmmakers with lots of footage to sort, music video editors who want to store B-roll clips for later use, FCP editors migrating to PP, and on and on!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Given the prevalence of tapeless media, where every shot automatically creates a new clip, I think the general use of subclips has declined in recent years.  I also think the current method of creating subclips for those who still use them is sufficient, and this feature would require too much of Adobe's limited resources that are better spent on other things.

The one part of your request I would agree with is that the In/Out points of any subclip should be adjustable in the sequence without any more effort than simply dragging the ends.  (Thus any transition added to a full sublcip would automatically have the needed handles.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Here is how in Pr Pro CS6 I make a subclip and have it put in the desired bin

1. Select the bin in the project panel

2. Trim the clip in the Source Monitor and, whether it is playing or not, hit my kb shortcut (which at the moment happens to be shift+u)

3. Hit Enter

That's it.

Not sure why you are going to all the extra trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Tapeless media = reduced need for subclips?

Sure, when you consider one of the largest needs for them was cutting up your hour long tape capture into individual scenes.  Scene Detect and now tapeless media have obviated the need for subclips for many users.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Hi Pierre,

I'm curious about how FCPX uses a single kb shortcut to assign a subclip to a bin. Does each bin have its own sortcut for this purpose? Is there a maximum number of bins that this works for?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sure, when you consider one of the largest needs for them was cutting up your hour long tape capture into individual scenes.  Scene Detect and now tapeless media have obviated the need for subclips for many users.

oh yeah!

try a wide ranging, single take, 2 hour interview....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:34 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

the current organizational power of PP's subclips is next to zero since with their hard in/out points, they're of very little use.

Well, that I will definitely agree with.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

PierreLousieBeranek,

The video was kind of silly considering Adobe had awesome metadata capabilites long before FCP X. I suggest you learn how to use Premiere Pro before knocking it :  )

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Instead of rubbishing Premiere and the users of this forum who have spent the equivalent of hundreds of hours helping others why, if FCP is so good; do you just not leave this forum and move over totally to FCPX?

In using Premiere for 15 years I have never used subclips hence I totally agree with Jim and would rather see Adobe resources used in a more worthwhile fashion for the vast majority of the users.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

Biggles, you've just proven my point by saying that you haven't used subclips in the last 15 years of using Premiere.  Thank you!  I haven't either.  That's as good an indication as any that subclips in PP are worthless due to their hard in/out points, as mentioned several times before.

How about a feature request for "soft" in/out points in subclips? Have you filed one yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Pierre, you have beaten the subclip issue to death. Enough already! If you have made a feature request let it be and move on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Pierre

A completely off topic response.

One thing you should be thankful of and that is your continued existence on this forum.

Had you been so voiciferous on the Grass Valley forum about Edius you would have been thrown out.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Pierre,

The video taked about keyword searches where all other non linear editors force you to sort through bin after bin. That is not true. Premiere has had key word search for years as well as metedata. FCP X acts like they invented key word searching and metadat both. They did not. I am not arguing that FCP X might make good use of subclips but no one here seems to need them.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 30, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to medeamajic

Subclips!!!

PierreLouisBeranek.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

I agree that support for surface controls would be wise. Others may agree with you on that as well so your assumption that we defend Adobe no matter what is invalid.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Why is a picture of Mel Gibson a response to me?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 30, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to medeamajic

Don't be so touchy... yours was the last post in the thread!

HoldOnTherePal.png

Try saving the Braveheart image to your disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Any thoughts?

I see touch control as more of a gimmick than a widely useful feature for a broad set of editors.  I'd prefer Adobe spent their time on other things, to be honest.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 31, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

What about interactive 3D holographic interfaces?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

The video mentioned key word search where all other non linear editors make you search through bin after bin. I will admit FCP X might have better media managment tools for your needs but Apple did not event metadata as implied. Having said that I don't ever have the need to send 500-600 clips into other bins. For me it is a non issue. If it is something you use 780345 times a day then by all means start making good use of FCP X.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Have you used the metadata of Premiere Pro at all? I watched your newest video and did not see anything new or anything that Premiere Pro cannot do. In fact Premiere Pro has done it for years. You can put in the type of camera, wide shot, medium shot, medium shot with low light. The cool thing about premiere is it does not make a little key word search folder (event folder) for every piece of metadata you add. The FCP X would look very cluttered real quick. Have you watched any videos on using Adobe Bridge and Premiere Pro with metadata? I think it might be wise. If you label 50 clips as medium shot and type medium shot all 50 clips clips will show up. They can be in different folders like HDV, AVCHD or still camera folder (you first FCP X video had it wrong). If you have 10 clips as medium shot plus low light added to the metadata only those will appear if you type medium shot, low light. Premiere Pro uses bins but it also uses metadata. I would prefer to just type key word search for low light or gazeebo rather than scrolling through a bunch of events folder to find the shots with low light, indoor auditorium, out door gazeebo or medium shot of gazeebo etc. I imagine you can type in keyword search with FCP X as well.  Having said that I was not impressed at all with your video.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

I'm sure many film editors saw NLEs as more of a gimmick when they were first introduced.

Speaking for myself only, having first been trained to edit using two tape decks and an edit controller, I found the NLE to be a major advance in the field of editing.  Once I got my Avid training, I never went back to linear again.

I don't feel the same about trying to do the work with a touch screen.  Rather quite the opposite.  Touch interfaces are far more limited than what can be done with a mouse and keyboard.  You need them for a tablet, but for a full desktop, touch is more annoying than helpful.  (Just look at the backlash MS has taken over Windows 8.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I don't go as far back in editing as Jim, but I am with him on touch screens v mouse/keyboard - the touch screen is the worst feature by far on my latest camera!

We have already had Adobe Audition wrecked to make it accessible to Mac users.  Please let us not go down the same road with Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

What I'm talking about is complementing current keyboard/mouse functions with yet another way of doing things.

We get that.  I'm just saying that I think it will find limited usability, and Adobe's limited resources are better spent developing other features that will find broader usefulness.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points