Skip navigation
hawk318@comcast.net
Currently Being Moderated

Lens Flare, size the sample?

Mar 27, 2013 5:52 PM

Is there a way to increase the size of the "Lens Flare" sample? I tried to set a couple of lens flares on a pic I'm working on, but the sample is so small I cannot see where the flare is winding up until I click ok and the flare shows on the pic (and is a mile off)

I need to see if there is a way to either enlarge the 'sample' or get the flare to show on the pic so I an see where to place it exactly.

I've found several other 'sample(s)' windows are far too small to do any good... surely there has to be some way to enlarge them?

Or at least to get the Flare to show on the  big pic like some of the other filters do as you use them...

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 27, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

Nope.  That's an ancient plug-in dialog, and it really could stand to be updated.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 27, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

You could render it on a perfectly black layer above the one you'd like it to add to, set the mixing mode to Screen blending, then fine tune the result by moving the layer around...  Just sayin'. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 12:18 AM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

If flares are realyl that important to you, buy Knoll Light Factory.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

hawk318@comcast.net wrote:

Just doesn't make sense... Lol, add a feature that can't always be used...

The minuscule preview would have made sense when the filter was added... maybe 20 years ago.

Even at that tiny size, a computer back then would have been struggling to give the user reasonably quick feedback as the controls are adjusted.

Take a look at Radial Blur filter.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 28, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Mylenium

The subject comes up from time to time, and I'll just vent again: 

A lot of old stuff in Photoshop that was "good enough" at the time really, REALLY needs to be revisited.  A moderization project both to update the UI for old filters and also to spruce up the code to be able to handle deep data (not to mention multi-threading) is long overdue.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 28, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

I don't know what kind of flares you are trying to achieve, but I have a plug-in of my own design (several, actually) that create star filter effects and some flare...  Run the free trial and see if this software does what you need.

http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Products.html

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Mar 28, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

Hello!

If you want pixel perfect positionning in the Lens Flare filter, mouse over the section you want to position it, look at its X, Y position in the info panel (make sure it's set to pixels).

Now, launch the lens flare filter, and alt+click on the preview to be able to enter the X, Y position.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 28, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

You can set the Quantity slider to 0 (which will generate no effects), then use the + tool along the left side to click on light sources for which you want effects.  Or you can just select around the light source(s) for which you want effects before running the plug-in.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to hawk318@comcast.net

The lens flare dimensions appear to be based on the image's. If you need one larger than what you're getting, create a new, larger file and make it there. I needed a smaller one (working with 1900x1200) and finally figured this out (600x600 black background file in this case).

It's pretty annoying that there appears to be no way to change the color it uses. Maybe I just haven't found the right setting(s). So far what works best for me is replacing the colors. Does anyone know if there's a way to change the color it begins with? Using CS6. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 16, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to TadCh3va7

I genneraly use custom brushes rather than the lens flare filter.  Much more control over everything.

[EDIT]  If interested in doing it this way, have a look for 'Flare brushes by Karl S2'

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1040911

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 17, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to TadCh3va7

Sounds like what's needed is a more sophisticated lens flare plug-in... 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points