Skip navigation
newbieeee
Currently Being Moderated

web URL for testing server

Mar 28, 2013 12:29 AM

Tags: #testing_server

I am setting up my first local test server in dreamweaver.  I'm having a difficult time naming the Web URL.

I have dreamweaver and I have windows.

Server Name= Local Testing Server

Connect Using= Local/Network

Server Folder= C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Unnamed Site 2\phptest\

Web URL=WTF Please help

What should my Web URL be?!

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 12:39 AM   in reply to newbieeee

What are you using for the testing environment XAMPP, WAMP, MAMP???

Normally a local testing server folder address would like like:

http://localhost/site_folder_name/

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to newbieeee

Web URL is usually the URL where your website is hosted on the web. Your domain name/ website name and a subfolder if its hosted in one.

As osgood said, if you're using a testing environment such as XAMPP or WAMP or MAMP, your testing server will be localhost followed by a port number if you've assigned one.

There's a tutorial for setting up a testing server: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_testing_server. html (While this was originally written for CS5, not much changes for CS6).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to newbieeee

newbieeee wrote:

I'm not using a testing environment.  I'm just using dreamweaver, windows, and my internet connection.

To test locally (on your computer before uploading anything to the web) you have to have a testing environment set up locally........that being XAMPP or WAMP or MAMP, which are free to download.

newbieeee wrote:

I've read the tutorials...Oh and do I need a domain name right now?  I was going to wait until I finished developing the site before I get a domain name and hosting.

No you don't need a domain name for testing locally.

Heres another resoure with instructions how to set up XAMPP on a widnows PC:

http://www.webassist.com/support/documentation/how-tos/xampp_for_windo ws.php

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to newbieeee

If you are not developing server scripted pages (e.g., PHP, ASP, CFM, etc.) then you do not need a local testing server. Plain HTML pages preview just fine locally without one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to newbieeee

If you're building PHP pages on a windows computer, you need to install either wamp or xampp on your hard drive.

Below is what your server definition would look like. NOTE:  all your local site files must reside in wamp's www folder.  If you use xampp, your site files must reside inside xampp's htdocs folder.

Local Site folder: C:\wamp\www\phptest\   or  C:\xampp\htdocs\phptest\

Server Name= Local Testing Server

Connect Using= Local/Network

Server Folder= C:\wamp\www\phptest\   or  C:\xampp\htdocs\phptest\

Web URL= http://localhost/phptest/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to newbieeee

You're using both PHP and Asp.NET on the same site? Must be hosted on a Windows server then.

If you are using PHP you must install XAMPP or WAMP locally, whether you are using .NET or not.  PHP will rely on Apache, and .NET will rely on IIS as local webservers. You will have to set the Apache to listen on port 8080 during the installation (I believe you'll be prompted for this information).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points