Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color mode & settings for grayscale illustration to monochrome laser printer

Mar 27, 2013 11:25 PM

Tags: #illustrator #color #cmyk #mode #grayscale #monochrome #laser

Is there a best setting for the mode, color settings, and color profiles when printing a grayscale vector illustration to a monochrome laser printer? I am making vector maps, and right now they are mostly black line and black text with only the K values in CMYK. There are some gray tones—for example water areas are 10% K, with no C, M or Y. Would it make any difference if I used RGB mode values at 100% (255,255,255), or a rich black in CMYK (such as 40C, 30M, 30Y, 100K)?

I printed in K only at 1200dpi to a Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 profile, and it doesn't look too bad. There aren't many of the lines that are really jagged. I just wondered if there are better settings...

I'm using Mac OS 10.6, Illustrator CS6, and a Brother HL-5470DW monochrome laser printer.

Map image section:

NOTR_001_sample.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to Parsa9

Parsa,

Not really (to both).

In some cases, using RGB with a PostScript (emulated) printer, or using CMYK with a non PostScript printer (through a PDF), you may get an unexpected outcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Parsa9

I am, Steve.

I believe you should use the BR-Script3 emulation driver if printing as an AI file (I just looked it up).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to Parsa9

You are welcome, Steve.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers