Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

pantone colours & CS6 & )SX 10.7.5

Mar 27, 2013 10:39 PM

I have had some trouble since installing Lion and CS6 with colours. A good example is 362 green. It is the client's corporate colour.

The swatch book had cmyk values of 70c 0m 100y 9k. So did the swatch selection in InDesign CS4 and earlier OSX.

The new values are now 73c 13m 100y 1k. Quite a different colour. On screen and print.

I am tempted just to rename the colour as 'Client X green' and use the old values.

However, as I'm sure there must be a reason behind all these new percentages. I just wonder if I should say "sorry Mr Client, Adobe and Pantone have changed your colour" and not interfere.

I have tried using Pantone Bridge selections, but they are different again.

Am I the only one. AmI alone

regards

kel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to orontes

In which Color Space do you work?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

The default books that ship with CS6 are now Pantone 'plus' libraries. An update of the old colours. Perhaps this explains it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to davetwo

Seems possible.

But I think the Pantone colors are stored as Lab values, so the resulting CMYK values would naturally also depend on the Color Space in effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

The Pantone spot colors are LAB values -- and yes, the conversion to other color modes will depend on the exact colorspace chosen.

And yes, Pantone changed their color definitions with updated inks, papers, and measurements.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to orontes

"...However, as I'm sure there must be a reason behind all these new percentages. I just wonder if I should say "sorry Mr Client, Adobe and Pantone have changed your colour" and not interfere."

Corporate use of that color, 862, will not change in applications that use that Spot color ink ( stationery, for instance ).  You, in theory, do not have to tell the client anything, because nothing has really changed.  If you find the ew CMYK values troublesome, then it's your job to figure out a workaround inside your closed loop workflow.  This would be considered behind-the-scenes project management and should not involve the client who probably knows nothing about what you are talking about.  The added confusion may backfire on you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to orontes

Yes, I agree.  The new formulations are going to work for first time use, but will create a mismatch if implemeted into an established workflow.  The custom named swatch will work in your case.  Keep in mind that CMYK color equivalents, even formulated the same from file-to-file, will print differently on different presses and paper(s).  That's the advantage to using Spot color when you can...consistency.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to orontes

I assume by colour space you mean working space.

No, I meant the Color Space of the individual images.

If you should save your files without embedding the profile the Working Space is assumed, but that would smack of unprofessionalism somewhat as the images would appear differently for someone who employ another Working Space.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points