Skip navigation
1970_abhijitp
Currently Being Moderated

Please incorporate the Crop & Erase facilities on Bitmap Images in the upcoming version of ai CS7

Mar 28, 2013 1:12 AM

Please incorporate the Crop & Erase facilities on Bitmap Images in the upcoming version of Illustrator CS7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 2:33 AM   in reply to 1970_abhijitp

if that's supposed to be a feature request, you're too late for CS7. Unless they actually have thought of it themsleves and started work on it months ago, the two months left before the next version will come out most likely are nowhere near enough time. For anything else use this:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to 1970_abhijitp

sure, I'll get right on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

Other than that, it seems a strange question for Illustrator.

Illustrator is not a bitmap editing program, that is what Photoshop is for.

just my 2 cent

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to CHMprepress

Well, as for the erasing part I could probably agree. But I would rather deplore the hackneyed assumption that a proper cropping capability just belongs to a raster editing programme.

Take a look at the container system in InDesign for example. Wouldn't that be useful in AI as well?

Also, Illustrator in fact has been providing similar cropping abilities for more than 12 years (see Placing options in the Links palette menu). The thing is: Those options are way too convoluted and untrustworthy in many situations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:34 AM   in reply to CHMprepress

Dunno if it's "strange" nor do I think that it would necessarily require to operate on pixel data natively. For all intents and purposes this could be a hacky implementation of the conventional eraser creating a clipping mask, pimped with adaptive width feathering re-using some of the width tool logic and perhpas based on the trace tool to automatically find contours similar to PS' magnetic lasso. At least I don't think we're talking partial erasures with semi-transparencies here; really just some way to create basic cutouts more intuitively than having to rely on trace & draw.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:46 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Yes I have to agree on these statments.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to CHMprepress

Name a mainstream vector drawing program other than Illustrator that does not provide for simple cropping of a raster image.

Since Illustrator is not a bitmap editing program, why is it so saturated with raster-based effects? Illustrator is editing a bitmap everytime you adjust a fuzzy drop shadow or glow or texture effect.

Since transparent/translucent PNGs are supported as Symbols, wouldn't it be a valuable thing to be able to simply crop (as opposed to merely mask) down to a part of a PNG that you want to spray a kazillion Instances of?

AI's inability to crop embedded raster images is not a matter of its "not being a raster editing program." It's just another very lame omission of a feature that is taken for granted in other mainstream vector drawing programs. Like user-defined ruler scales, dimension tools, lens fills, inline graphics, and on and on...

Every Illustrator user is supposed to have to go buy another separate $600 full-blown raster imaging program just to do a basic crop of a raster-based object?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Like I said in my previous post, I do agree

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 3:59 AM   in reply to CHMprepress

Your previous post was in reply to Mylenium, whose post was about mere masking. And regardless, my arguments are intended for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this thread.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to JETalmage

I couldn't resist responding.

Of course once ou have this crop tool in Illustrator you will most likely get a ton of users dropping by with this lament. Hey I crop and image in Illustrator and I somehow deleted the original and now I have to undo the crop because I cropped to much off of the image how to do youy retore the image in Illustrator?

LOL!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 12:35 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade, that would be funnier if it wasn't true...

I do think that once cropped, making a bitmap copy should toss out the extra pixels beyond the crop. But that is from a functional viewpoint.

For a realistic standpoint, I'll use my bitmap editor for, well, working with bitmaps. At least if it mattered to me.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Besides just being silly, that's pretty insulting to users of Canavs, Draw, Freehand, Inkscape, and Designer Pro. None of those users seem to struggle with understanding the functionality of cropping of a raster image as you anticipate Illustrator users would.

But then, when you only posess a blinders-wearing working familiarity with the so often outdated and incomplete functionality of Illustrator, I guess otherwise brain-dead obvious and commonplace things may seem confusing.

I remember you, for example, being among those who rent their sack cloth and ashes garments at every suggestion that Illustrator might need to provide functionality for a page 2.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to 1970_abhijitp

I had worked with CorelDraw for around 12 years and recently switched to Illustrator...

Why do you call this "switching"? You obvously didn't instantly forget everything you learned from using Draw. Did Adobe make you surrender your copy of Draw when you bought Illustrator?

No, you merely added Illustrator to your vector drawing repertoire. That's a good thing. but my point is, there is no law saying you can only use one drawing program. That mindset has always baffled me. For example: Users of 3D modelling software don't limit themselves to a single vendor's programs.

...for its wide array of functions, shortcut keys and most importantly flexibility to syncronise between other Adobe softwares like Photoshop and Indesign.

State specifics. All that is mostly overblown marketing hype. Adobe applications are not nearly as "integrated" as Adobe would have you believe.

InDesign, for example, cannot even actually place an Illustrator file. It can only place a PDF version of the Illustrator file. If you don't believe this, try saving an Illustrator file with the "PDF Compatibility" option turned off and then import that into InDesign.

And you do realize, don't you, that many "assembly" programs allow you to assign other programs as your default editor of various kinds of content objects?

And when it comes down to practicality, how, exactly, is Illustrator more "fully integrated" with Photoshop than current version Draw is with PhotoPaint?

...I liked everything in ai when I compared it with Coreldraw except for the few features (like Crop,Trim & Erase on Bitmap), which are very handy in Coreldraw....

Yeah, well. Come back to this topic when you start to notice on subsequent projects that those missing features are not nearly so "few" as the two you have listed so far. ;-)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to JETalmage

...users of Canavs, Draw, Freehand, Inkscape, and Designer Pro. None of those users seem to struggle with understanding the functionality of cropping of a raster image as you anticipate Illustrator users would.

Have you run the latest version of XDP? (Next version is due out soo...)

The eraser works on bitmaps as well in the form of a mask. But not just "stock" shape masks, but interactive brushes too. Pretty dang slick when freehand drawing vectors, too, as it actually alters the vector shape.

It is the vector app of choice for me. Even if eventually I need to give back an AI file, I'll do as much as possible in XDP.

While Illustrator "needs" new functionality--and present things made more intuitive--I regularly work in more than one application for a given part of a project. So if one application isn't the most efficient for a "thing," I'll just use another to perform that thing or task.

Choices are good. I personally wish vector apps had less/no bitmap stuff. Maybe the creators of these applications could actually enhance and extend vector tasks within them (aside from actually fixing bugs).

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Hi Wade.

Reckon linked images should be kept as there are.

But once you have embedded an image it should be entirely editable, croppable, eraseable, whatever.

That way no originals should get lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to JETalmage

At first I was for Illustrator to have a page layout capability and made a feature request to that regard then I obtain Quark and came to the forum and thought well I have that capability and then I realized there were other users that needed Illustrator for layouts and so I backed users like Gary Newman who as i recalled were for multiple pages in Illustrator but I was against making Illustrator a page layout application since it was not designed for it but thought it should have a page making tool but thought it should be one that offer multiple size pages or if you wish multiple size documents within a document.

When they introduce artboards I pointed out that this tooll offered the possibility for a multiple page capability that was more than just pages since you could make pages or if you prefer different size doicuments within one document and then suggest the ability to ba able to name the artboards, like Letterhead, Envelope, Business Card, Mailing Label etc abnd the ability to rearrange them at the moment my most recent suggestion is Master Artboards.

The reason for artboards instead of just a page layout mechanism is one that already exist in ID and two the user of illustrator are artist that Illustrate or work with Illustration or artwork that is often used with ext and photos but are not necessarily page layout designers andmore than likely would employ the use of text to work with a specific Illustration or group of illustrations where the text and art might be integrated as a work into itself as opposed to an element on a page and that might often be the end design of that page. Such as a childrens book!

I was never opposed to the feature of being able to output pages from Illustrator I am opposed to amking it a page layout application and now tith the Cloud which will give Adobe the opportunity to build a modular suite of creation tools it will be even less necessary, the Multiple art feature will develop in my opinion and will include supoport for die cutting as well as packaging tools. Those tools will relate to Illustrator and may eventually give way to a new way to cross application tools.

The Future is coming soon at a Cloud near you, soon is like ten years or so.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to MW Design

...I'll do as much as possible in XDP.

Shhhh...! Don't say things like that.

Adobe might buy it in order to discontinue it.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points