Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to draw and modify double lines with Adobe Illustrator?

Mar 28, 2013 2:54 AM

I need tot draw roadmaps. This should be easy using the pen tool, but my problem is that I cannot find a way to draw double lines with this tool. I have seen many fancy border styles and patterns. Some do have double or even quadruple lines, but the problem is than that they have an offset from the vector line and the space in between the two lines (the edges of the road) cannot be filled. Somewere I also found some pens called 'Double line 1.1' to 'Double line 1.6' but they also had an offset from the vector and I could not chance the size of the lines and the interval in between them independently.

What I am looking for is a way to draw two lines in parallel and have the option tot fill the space in between with a color or even a pattern.

The color and size of the lines should be changeable to make a distinction between several types of road.

Is there an existing set of pencils for this purpose? It would be nice to be able to draw not only roads, but also railways and rivers!

I am surely not the first person who needs to do this?

I use AI version 6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to RKOLE

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the Illustrator forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to RKOLE

RKOLE,

A few ways, applicable regardless of version, are to use multiple strokes of different widths through the Appearance panel (you can have a wide dark one as the basic stroke and a narrower one at the top in white or background colour to cover the middle part of the basic stroke) or create an Art Brush from two strokes or rectangles and apply that to the path (the Art Brush is stretched to fit the length, and the width/distance between the strokes can be adjusted by changing the Stroke Weight of the path).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Here's a picture. You can adjust the color of either stroke by highlighting the line in the appearance panel and changing the color in the small box. Your best bet is to save the Appearance as a Graphic Style so you can apply it to any line in the future. No need for a Brush and easier to edit.

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 9.29.19 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to RKOLE

You don't need a brush to draw this. Just use two stacked strokes, the top one being narrower than the bottom one. See the manual on appearance panel if you son't know how to use it.

If you need crossroads, apply the appearance not to the paths, but to the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to RKOLE

From the Window menu

Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 10.12.30 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to RKOLE

Just to illustrate some of what's been said about the Appearance Panel:

appearance.jpg

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to OldBob1957

Only that a compund path isn't that practical. Better to apply the appearance to the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Or group the lines and apply at the appearance at the group level.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to RKOLE

Rob,

Appearance seems to be (something like) Verschijning in Dutch.

I hope that will make it easier to find the panel and create the two strokes there, and later edit them.

But I wonder: the first way I suggested in the first post required the use of the Appearance panel, the Art Brush being only second choice, so it seems that you must have found it somehow already. It should be mentioned that you have to click the individual element in the Appearance panel to select it and work with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Appearance seems to be (something like) Verschijning in Dutch.

see a translation here:

http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-polyglott.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Ah, so it is Vormgeving, Monika.

Thank you very much for that invaluable link. I have added it to my Adobe folder in Bookmarks.

Apart from a few posts in this forum I have never seen any of the non English names before. Quite a read.

It must have taken a great effort to make it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Thank you very much for that invaluable link.

You're welcome, Jacob.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points