Skip navigation
C. Burks
Currently Being Moderated

Uninstalling/reinstalling CS2

Mar 28, 2013 6:49 AM

I recen'ty got a new machine and ran into the activation issues with older versions of the Suite. I have CS5, but need to run Photoshop CS2 as well for the screening features in the output end of things that were removed from 5 & 6.

I found the link to the new download of the suite that Adobe provided for the new activation process of CS2 but ran into uninstall problems with the version I installed from disk. When I try to install from the download, it detects Photoshop and Illustrator CS2 installed on my machine despite uninstalling them. The "uninstaller" failed to work, so I went throught the manual uninstallation including the registry edits but the CS2 installer still detects Illustrator and Photoshop CS2 as installed.

FWIW I am running Win 7 64 bit and the CS5 Suite as well. I simply need to keep a working version of Photoshop CS2 in addition to that for my output necessities. Unfortunately this is not a problem I can solve by simply upgrading software as the feature no longer exists in the newer versions. The last version that supported line screen & angle control was CS4, which I do not own because I jumped from CS2 to CS5.  Any advice on how to find and remove the previous CS2 install information that the new installer is detecting would save me a lot of grief as at this point I am out of ideas except reformatting and starting from scratch.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 28, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to C. Burks

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 28, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to C. Burks

there's no more thorough explanation of how to wipe cs2 from your computer after a failed uninstall and there is no cleaner tool for as2.

you could try reinstalling cs2 from your disk, then properly uninstalling using the uninstaller.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 30, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to C. Burks

there may be information here that helps you:  http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-installation-pro blems-photoshop-cs2.html

but the biggest help on that page may be a link, "Manually remove Photoshop CS2 (Windows).", that's broken.  i've reported the broken link so hopefully that will be fixed soon.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 30, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to C. Burks

that looks like autoit script but i'm not certain (http://www.autoitscript.com/site/). 

most of that code looks ok but it only takes one line to cause a big problem so do not run that code unless you have a reliable backup of your computer (so you can restore it if things go badly including being unable to boot to the os) and make sure you trust the source of that code.

as for contacting adobe, the easiest way is online chat:   (http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.html).

for telephone support:

Call an agent

Monday-Friday, 5am-7pm PST

800-833-6687
    but that's a general number and almost certainly will, at most, get you another phone number to call.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 30, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to C. Burks

you have courage. 

let me know if you're able to execute that script.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 30, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to C. Burks

i'm not familiar with autoit either and i can't tell what part of that formatting is a problem on your end and what part is this forum misformatting that code.  but, there are no line breaks in the code i see and the first few lines should have line breaks similar to:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Adobe CS2 Remover", 175,115,-1,-1,BitAND($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_GUI, BitNOT($WS_CAPTION)),$WS_EX_TOPMOST)

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$Actvate =GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove", 10, 40, 60)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($Actvate,"_remove")

$exit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 104, 40, 60)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($exit, "_Terminate")

$progressbar1 = GUICtrlCreateProgress (10,80,155,20)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Adobe CreativeSuite 2 Remover", 10 , 10)

GUISetState() While 1 Sleep(100)

WEnd

Func

Terminate()

Sleep(100)

Exit

EndFunc ;==>Terminate Func _remove()

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002