Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

iPad control?

Mar 28, 2013 10:58 AM

Tags: #ipad #control #procutx

I did a little research (probably not as much as I should have, forgive me), but I'm curious if there are any iPad control apps out there that you all recomend.  Something similar to ProCut X. I'm not looking for it because I want to speed up my work flow, or make my life easier. I'm just that much of a nerd that if I CAN control it with my iPad I want to. Then 6 months later I'll get bored with it and go back to the actual interface.

Thanks for indulging my (not-so) inner nerd.

Matt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to robertsonm84

There is a funded kickstarter that will bring control to the iPad.  They are developing it right now.  (I'm not on the team, but I did become a backer.)  It looks pretty cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffchow/ctrl-console-creativity-u nleashed

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to needles27

Needles,

Thanks for that link.

I was wondering how an iPad interface would speed the workflow, but the demo video filled me in pretty well.

Looks very interesting, and maybe something to prompt me to look into the iPad (do not like my wife's for general computing), as a control interface.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks for spreading the word needles27!

We're getting closer to launch (with a lot of luck, could even be this month!). And to my surprise, folks on the Premiere team asked me to demo from the Adobe booth at NAB this year!

I haven't yet shown off the power of gestures, but I think you'll like it, it's pretty magical!

Jeff

Evernote Camera Roll 20130518 161027.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to Jeff@CTRLconsole

Jeff,

This may be the only good reason to buy an iPad. I am waiting to see.  If I could just get a 48" X 24" iPad I can imagine the possibilities.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5327805#5327805

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Hi Steven,

While I'm not planning on getting into the hardware business anytime, large touch-screens are definitely coming. And in the mean time, we are building in the infrastructure to connect multiple iPads for increased real-estate - though we're not taking advantage of it yet. That's how I plan to use my old iPad 1, when I'm not using it just for compatibility testing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to Jeff@CTRLconsole

It just ocurred to me that there might be a lot of old iPads around that people would sell for cheap. If I just need it for a control surface and nothing else, who needs the newest fastest one. How great does the display need to be to deal with my fingers all over it?

Hmmm. Craig's list and E-Bay, here I come!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I'm still very happy with my iPad 2! Though I wouldn't go all the way to iPad 1.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:21 PM   in reply to Jeff@CTRLconsole

But will your app work with the first generation iPad, and if so, will there be any noticeable issues?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

It works on iPad 1, but we have to make far more compromises on it than newer generations. It just doesn't have as much memory as any of the later ones and can't be updated to iOS 6 which came with many new and important features (like iCloud, which we use to sync settings).

To get it to work, we have to make the jog wheel much simpler or it crashes! And I find that the surface is a bit more tacky, I think they changed the oleophobic coating on later generations that makes gestures much smoother.

And finally, it's just bulky.

I have an iPad 1 and that's why I've told people that we would support it, but having gone through the process of making sure the app works on it and you're buying an iPad for the first time, I would recommend getting an iPad 2 at minimum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Jeff@CTRLconsole

That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

I never wanted an iPad, but if it is just for this one task, I can see my way clear to giving Apple money. Especially if it is second hand.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

No problem Steven!

Hope we can make this as close to what you've been dreaming of!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points