Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File extensions

Mar 28, 2013 11:16 AM

First time with premiere elements 11.   Saved video to computer as mpeg but it appeared in file as xmpses unrecognised by windows. Whars going on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to bradbury53

I did this as well (export from a PrE 11 project) and discovered there are actually 2 files created, one with a weird ext that Win won't open and the other is the actual movie file, (.mpg)  Might have to look around for that other one but should be in the same folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to bradbury53

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to bradbury53

When one Exports/Shares to MPEG, with Multiplexed (combined) Audio & Video, first, the Video-only file is created, then the Audio-only file, and the .xmpses "helper" file. Finally, PrE uses the .xmpses file to guide it, in combining the two Streams into a Multiplexed file. Then, the work files are Deleted. Why the .xmpses is left, as it has served its purpose, I do not know.

If one has Windows Explorer open, to the destination folder, they can see these files being created.

A lot of the same thing happens, when one does a Burn to Disc. Working files are created, Audio and Video Streams are combined, then the MPEG-2 DVD file is packaged into the VOB containers. Lot of "stuff" going on.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to bradbury53

Taking MPEG as an example, I would first check exactly what specs. for MPEG, that community Web site works best with. MPEG, like AVI, MOV, etc., can have all sorts of settings inside the format, and all possibilities might not work so well. Hopefully, the Web master can offer guidence on exactly which settings are ideal, including the Bit-Rates.

It would be the same for AVI, or MOV. Find out what they feel works the best, and then work from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to bradbury53

You say that this site accepts only "mpeg, avi, wav, mov etc" -- what's the "etc"?

MPEGs are not web formats. Neither are AVIs or MOVs, if they use the DV codec. And WAVs are, of course, sound files. MPEGs, AVIs and MOVs are, by default, interlaced formats. Put them up on the web and the results are gonig to look awful.

Can you tell us specifically what the needs of this site are? I can't imagine that they can't accept at least a WMV, MP4 or web-based MOV (which are forms of MP4s).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to bradbury53

I would start with an MPEG, that is about as "plain-vanilla," as it gets: MPEG-2 DVD. I would keep the Bit-Rate at 2-pass, with about 7MB/sec., and then test.

Note: if you do not see the MPEG-2 DVD Preset, be sure to look for the little scroll bars to the right of that Share+Publish dialog screen. They are hard to see, and many just miss them entirely.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

The Interlaced aspect, when used on a Web site, is a very good point.

That was why I had asked for the actual specs. for the required/suggested upload files.

Thanks for making that mention.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to bradbury53

My recommendation is to use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset for YouTube SD.

This will produce a high-quality, web-based MP4 that should work perfect on your site.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to bradbury53

Brad,

Are you on a PC, or a Mac?

If on a PC, in the Publish+Share options under Computer, if you do not see WMV, make sure that you scroll down (those scroll bars are really hard to see, especially in the PrE 11 GUI), and choose that. There are several choices for WMV, and I would start with the highest quality, and try uploading that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to bradbury53

Great news, and thank you for reporting the Publish+Share option, that worked for you.

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points