Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge can't find Startup Scripts on OSX (CS5, CS5.5, CS6)

Mar 28, 2013 2:21 PM

Tags: #missing #bridge #startup #scripts

I just spent a few hours trying to figure out why Bridge could not be launched from Photoshop, and also why the Stratup Script panel in Bridge Preferences was empty.

On the chance someone else has this issue, I have found one cause for the problem on OSX... and I must say it is rather stupid.

If you have a volume named "Library" mounted, either a local volume or a server volume, Bridge expects to find its startup scripts on it. You can either rename the volume, or if that really isn't an option, you can create a folder path of /Application Support/Adobe on the Library volume and copy the /Library/Applications Support/Adobe/Bridge CS6 Extensions  and  /Library/Applications Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts 6.0 folders to that new folder.

Obviously renaming the volume is the easiest. Replace CS6 in the paths above with CS5 or CS5.1 if you also use those products.

If you have encountered this error in Photoshop when opening bridge, you may have a volume called "Library":

Error 2: photoshop is undefined.

Line: 1

-> photoshop.invokeBridge (false, false, '');

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

That folder should be empty unless you have entered special scripts.  THe startup scripts you want are in edit/preferences/startup scripts.  THere should be a checkmark for at least Bridge and Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 28, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

If you have a volume named "Library" mounted, either a local volume or a server volume, Bridge expects to find its startup scripts on it. You can either rename the volume, or if that really isn't an option, you can create a folder path of /Application Support/Adobe on the Library volume and copy the /Library/Applications Support/Adobe/Bridge CS6 Extensions  and  /Library/Applications Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts 6.0 folders to that new folder.

I'm sorry but I certainly can't second this advise, in fact I'm strongly against it. Mac Os uses 3 libraries, one at root level, one in the system folder on root level and one on user level, by default hidden per OSX 10.7.

That is for a single user set up.

Creating folders in those libraries yourself should only be done with great care and good knowledge but rather you should let this be done during default installation of the applications themselves, they have been designed to place the folders they need to use to work under the correct name and path, otherwise they won't recognize the needed files or script or preferences.

Renaming the library folder or creating a folder called library your self is a bad idea because all applications use the default root- and user library for various tasks as does the system itself.

If your initial installation ended up without having access to the other applications using the start up scripts inBridge the install either went wrong or your copy of the software is not correct.

The default location for the start up scripts should be in the library at root level and that would make the path: Macintosh HD (or the custom name you gave to the start up disk) / Library / Application support / Adobe / Startup Scripts CS6.

Inhere should each installed application of the CS6 suite have a folder with its application name. These folders contain the needed scripts. Some have only one and some have more. the particular script to run Photoshop is called "photoshop.jsx".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

When in Bridge if you click edit/preferences/startup stripts what do you see?  How many you have depends on the programs you have installed.  With only Bridge and PS I have 6 entries.  Bridge, PS, Output Module, Contact Sheet, Auto Collection.

If page is blank then maybe you need to reinstall and let the default program fill in the banks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 7:01 PM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

I know nothing of the Mac terminology so what you are saying makes no sense to me as a Window's user.  Anytime a "solution" requires going into the guts of a program and changing names of files, or tweeks of the registry, red flags start to wave. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I understand exactly what TMJohnWolf is describing.

His company have a Server/HD which they named "Library" 16 years ago and this name is conflicting with the Mac OSX Folders which have similar names.

His best bet would be to change the name of his Server because I foresee endless ongoing problems if they keep their old name.

However, I also understand how much confusion, and how many broken links between component-parts of their existing documents, that such a name-change will cause throughout the whole company.

It was good of the OP to post this because it is possible that others might run into the same issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 29, 2013 4:33 AM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

I am now thouroughly discouraged to post further solutions or work arounds that I may remember or encounter.

My apologizes if you feel I am responsible for your discourage. I use this forum via email and also start from bottom to top in incoming emails.

I saw you mention a path with a ~ and a path without, hence using the user and the root library and also using 6.0 instead of default CS6

My intention was to warn that such actions are not easy to be done and should be done with great care. No doubt you have great knowledge about this subject and it is also very nice of you to come up with a solution but most readers of this forum don't have this specialized knowledge (including me when it comes to server and network usage) and 'jargon' you are using.

Hopefully this will have things cleared for you

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to TMJohnWolf

Don't be discouraged! I am so thankfull for your post: I have been trying to solve this issue for 3 days and your post made me solve it in 30mn!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points