Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quick way to select text in textframe?

Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM

Tags: #options #shortcuts #workflow #selecting #textframe #indesign_cs6

Hi Guys

Whenever I'm working in InDesign, I find it a little annoying to double or triple click on a text frame to select all of the content. Is there a quick way or shortcut to easily select all of the content in the text frame when for instance I select the frame itself and via the shortcut or quick solution, all of the text is selected instead of having to click 3 times?

Thanks

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to BobM1990

With the cursor in the text frame, cmd or ctrl+a

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to BobM1990

Using the Selection Tool click on the text frame and then cmd + C

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to FergyMac

Um, not really...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well technically the OP didn't ask about selecting text, he asked about selecting the content so I stand by my answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to BobM1990

What are you doing with the text?  Without selecting text and just selecting the box, you can edit fonts, change colors, etc. you don't always have to select the text content itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to jkuhns5

@FergyMac...

Kind of a stretch there since the OP clearly said he was triple-clicking to select the text.

@jkuhn5...

That's only true if the frame is not threaded with others.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yeah I know it was a stretch but since he was annoyed about having to click three times I thought I'd throw a curve ball in there.

Ok then, straight answer? With the Type Tool selected, click once in the text frame, click twice to select one word, click three times to select one line, click four times to select one paragraph, click five times to select all threaded text. It's not that big of a deal. InDesign is a very sophisticated page layout program. There are easy ways and short cuts to do some things but selecting text is not that difficult.

(I just re-read what I wrote and I want to assure everyone that I'm not trying to be an ***, I'm just slightly sarcastic, with a friendly smile!)

Have a Good Friday everyone!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to FergyMac

In line with that, Cursor at the beginning of a line, press Shift + End to select the whole line, then Shift + Down Arrow to select an addtional line at a time. Works from the bottom up, too, Using Shift + Home to select to the beginning of a line.

Also, Ctrl(Cmd) + Shift + End/Home will select from the curren tlocation to end or start, respsctively, of a story.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points