Skip navigation
kiracastle2
Currently Being Moderated

How to create RTL Books in inDesign (Japanese)?

Mar 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Tags: #indesign #japanese #rtl

Hi there,

I want to create a RTL book in Japanese. I do not speak Japanese and I have the english version of indesign. I am downloading the Japanese version now, so maybe I will have two types but the thing is I can not speak Japanese.

Is there any way to do RTL books in inDesign CS6 ?  It does not matter if I can not type Japanese, I will be using images only.

Thanks for your help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to kiracastle2

The best resource I can suggest is Diane Burn's Lynda.com title, "Multiligual Publishing Strategies in InDesign":

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Multilingual-Publishing-Strate gies-InDesign/107062-2.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2013 10:34 PM   in reply to kiracastle2

There are two or three different ways to get spine-right binding, depending on which version of ID you're using, and I have no idea whatsoever where that feature is buried in the Japanese version. Honestly, I don't even know if there's an English localization of the interface of Japanese ID. 

The short version is that there's no way to get spine-right binding with plain-vanilla English ID, although you can probably pull it off with a script, and there are a number of plugins that will let you access InDesign's under-the-hood features. You're probably best off with something like an English install of InDesign and something like World Tools Pro.

But that link that Steve pointed you towards is pretty all-inclusive. Check out the "Choosing the Right Application" section - it should get you pointed in the right direction.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points