Skip navigation
Giedrius1984
Currently Being Moderated

How to save InDesing file so it would be editable in Illustrator

Mar 29, 2013 12:07 AM

Hi All,

can anyone help me? I have cllient who works in InDesign and keep sending files at indd format, but unfortunately I dodn't have this software and don't know how to use it... However I dod use Illustrator and Photoshop a lot. My problem is that I have to edit those files but he ( and me ) doesnt know how to save it as editable format for Illustrator. He had saved as pdf, but then if messes up most of the file and applyes mask for each blody object. His files are quite complex ( gradients, streched and shaped bitmaps, text.. ) and when he saved them as pdf it created massive file at 950Mb!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to Giedrius1984

The short version is that InDesign files are editable in InDesign, not Illustrator. The two of you need to use the same software, and the same software version, for compatibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to Giedrius1984

If you've used Illy and Photoshop you might be able to fake your way through small changes to an InDesign file. Download the trial and see for yourself what's involved.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Giedrius1984

Output the file as a PDF and open that file in Illustrator, There is no going back to indesign after taking it to illy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points