Skip navigation
tommy.052
Currently Being Moderated

3d timeline function

Mar 29, 2013 3:10 AM

Tags: #3d #timeline #duration

Hi,

How can we extend the timeline duration to more than 10 seconds in Photoshop cs6 extended for a 3D object layer? It seems you can not make it longer than 10 seconds. Other layers can be made longer.

Best regards,

Tommy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to tommy.052

Trick it with a ridiculously high frame rate.

For example, 10 seconds at 299.7 fps will get you 2997 frames which can be 100 seconds of video at 29.97 fps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to tommy.052

Yes, of course I've tried it. The clip will remain 10 seconds in the timeline, but as I said, it'll generate enough frames to make 100 seconds of video in my example.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to tommy.052

I'm sorry. I didn't actually export the experimental video. It played correctly in Photoshop. However, now that I do actually render the video, I see you are correct: despite the Render Video dialog indicating that thousands of frames will be rendered, only 300 are rendered.

Also, I'm finding while further experimenting that a long clip in the timeline sometimes can spontaneously shrink to 300 frames when adding a keyframe, so you can't reliably create a long clip then cut it into a sequence of 300-frame clips to be rendered.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to tommy.052

I’ve found that if I create a 3d object in CS5, save it as a PSD, and open it in Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6, I’m able to extend the video timeline and drag the workspace for the 3d object to whatever time I need with no problem at all, and I’m no longer stuck at 10s. The 3D timeline/workspace function works as it should.

I’ve only done this with the cone object, which I created in CS5 without a timeline. I haven't tried this with other 3d objects.

So, a workaround for this (bug?) might be, if you can get access to Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5, to create a layered file with all of the 3d objects in it for use in CS6, or to otherwise create 3D objects in CS5 for use in CS6. I'm going to do this whether I intend to animate the object or not, just to be on the safe side, because I don't want to put a lot of time into texturing 3d objects that I know are buggy.

I’ve been very  frustrated because I’ve  wasted so much time trying to figure out why things don’t work as they should in CS6 Extended 3D.  Since the user manual released with this version of Photoshop is incomplete--much of it addresses only the CS5 interface and functions--I never know if unexpected behaviors are the rusult of design changes, or bugs.

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Wintermute 001

That's an interesting discovery and hopefully it's useful to some of the people who paid good money for software that was later discovered to have been compiled before the public beta testing began.

After a year of CS6, none of the mountain of 3D bugs is known to have been fixed. I now expect the fixes, if any ever materialise, will be made available to perpetual licensees as a paid upgrade only. There were some 3D minor feature additions in the Cloud 13.1 upgrades but not one bug was fixed, as far as I know. An unhealthy stench is issuing from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Wintermute 001

Exact same problem here with the difference that I don't have CS5.

Till now no solution working only with CS6.

My 3D object animation ends at 10.00f and can't be increased at timeline.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points