Skip navigation
TomTovur
Currently Being Moderated

How to read Nikon D600 NEF files

Mar 29, 2013 9:46 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #raw #lr3 #lightroom3 #lr4 #lightroom4

I bought a Nikon D600 but am unable read the NEF files read with my version of Lightroom 3 that runs on an older Mac Book which cannot be upgraded to LR4.  If I buy a new Mac, can I upgrade to LR4 on the new machine or do I have to purchase a new version?  If I can upgrade how do I transfer LR3 to the new machine.  Also, I have a student version of Photoshop CS5 Extended.  Can I purchase an upgrade to CS6 on a new machine? 

In doing research I saw where both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 had some problems with Apple's OS X 10.8.  Have these been resolved yet?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to TomTovur

The D600 is diectly supported by Lightroom 4.2/Camera Rw 7.2 and higher.  So updgrading to Lightroom 4 or Photoshop CS6 will provide full suppor for the D600. Alternatively, you can download the free DNG Converter 7.2 or higher and use it to convert your NEF files to DNG format which is already supported by Lightroom 3.x

You can upgrade from Lr3 to Lr4 on your old and/or new machine as there is no activation code to stop you. You'll probbaly be asked for the Serial Number for Lr3 on the new machine to prove that an upgrade is legitimate. Buying Photoshop CS6 then upgrading the new machine to this is also possible, but you'll need either the DVD for CS5 or have it already installed on the new machine. Basically, CS6 needs to see that a copy of CS5 is available for installation or already on the computer.

As to the problems with 10.8. These have been addressed.

Download link for DNG converter 7.3 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5518

Download link for Lr 4.3 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5520

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to TomTovur

Doesn’t a student-edition serial number come via e-mail that you still have or at least printed out?

If not, the non-student-version of PS, at least, allows you to register it at Adobe and then you can look up the serial number at adobe.com using one of the menu options about previous orders.  I don’t have the specific menu path at my finger tips at the moment but it doesn’t take too long to figure out.   It is possible that the student edition doesn’t allow you to look up the serial number in this way and also possible that you neglected to register it. 

You can try the Belarc Security Advisor that is able to find serial numbers of various software that is still installed—not sure about deactivated software but worth a try..  They may try to upsell you something that you don’t want or need for this task, so watch how you answer any install questions or options, but I’ve used this software in the past on a Windows 7 computer and it was able to find licensing information for some Adobe products I had installed:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

DNG Converter no longer working for D600 NEF files.

I got my D600 in February and downloaded DNG converter.  It worked fine.  Then, a couple of weeks ago I tried to use it and DNG no longer recognized the D600 NEF files.

I upgraded to DNG 7.4 and tried again without success.  Finally I downloaded a trial version of LR4 and used that to convert my NEFs to DNG.

Between the time I first used DNG and the time it failed, I know there were a couple of Apple OS updates although I don't see how that could matter.  There was also a firmware update to the D600 but I can't remember if I installed that before or after I started having trouble with DNG.

I can't afford to upgrade from CS5 to CS6, and using LR4 simply to convert the NEFs to DNG is truly cumbersome.  So, any ideas for making DNG work correctly would help.

Thanks,

Carl

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to Carl Bostek

One scenario that would explain what you’re seeing is that you’re using Nikon Transfer v 1.x to move the images from your camera to your hard-drive and then trying to use the DNG Converter on them.  Nikon Transfer v1.x is obsolete and will render NEFs from the newest Nikon cameras unreadable to Adobe products—something gets changed in the NEF header by NT1.   More recently, you are using LR4 to do the transfer from the camera then you’re skipping Nikon Transfer so the files work.

If this is what you’re doing, then stop using Nikon Transfer V1.x and use the Nikon Transfer function that is built into a relatively new and up-to-date ViewNX2, or just use Finder to move the files from the camera to your hard-drive.

If this is not your scenario, and you’re not using Nikon Transfer to move the files from the camera to your computer when they don’t work in the DNG Converter 7.4, then please upload an NEF to www.dropbox.com or other temporary large-file-hosting service, then post the public download link, here, so others can look at it and judge if it is corrupted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks for your reply!

I am using ViewNX2, and I have also tried just converting the files on my SD card without transferring to the hard drive at all.  Makes no difference. 

I just had a thought though, I wonder if it makes a difference whether I start my Mac in 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode?  I did change it as some point when editing in PS5, but I don't remember if that was before or after the problems began.  I'll check that as soon as I get home.

As for file corruption, I can understand a couple of files getting corrupted during a transfer session, but hundreds of files from several different SD cards?  Seems unlikely.

I also asked Nikon Support today if their D600 firmware update changed the NEF files from the earlier version.  Hope to hear back from them in a few days. 

Thanks,

Carl

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Carl Bostek

It’d be quicker if you could take a test shot of nothing in particular and upload it for others to look at.  If it works for them, then something is wrong on your computer.  If it doesn’t work, then something is different with the files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I thought of something even quicker -- I just dragged the NEF files onto my hard drive and then used DNG Convertor -- it worked perfectly.  I then tried ViewNX2 again and DNG Converter wouldn't recognize them.  So, the files were being corrupted by the Nikon software.  Since I don't use that software for anything except transferring files from my SD card to the hard drive I'll just use the drag and drop method in the future.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions, they gave me the info I needed to fix my problem .

Carl

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to Carl Bostek

The latest ViewNX2 should work, so maybe you’re not up-to-date, or maybe the camera is in the wrong USB-mode and the images are coming off it in some weird format.  It should be in Mass-Storage Mode.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

The latest ViewNX2 should work, so maybe you’re not up-to-date, or maybe the camera is in the wrong USB-mode and the images are coming off it in some weird format.  It should be in Mass-Storage Mode.

First of all ... you never need to set the USB mode on the D600 ... it's totally automatic and has been so since the D300 era ... Secondly ... Nikon View NX can be version 2 and still cause problems ... What you do need to do is have the most current updated version of NX 2 that includes all the parameters for the newest cameras NEF files ... otherwise it makes changes to the header portion of the NEF files rendering them unrecognizable to third party software.

Carl ... the best bet is ... if you are not going to use Nikon software to process your NEF files ... just don't use Nikon View NX and either use the Finder or Lightroom itself to transfer your images to your preferred hard drive. Just make sure you have Lightroom updated to a version that supports your camera.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I found that DNG Converter works fine if I just drag the NEF files from the SD card to the hard drive.

I do have the latest versions of the Nikon software, but I did discover that installing the new version did not delete the older one and that may have caused problems.  I have now uninstalled all the Nikon software and maybe I'll get around to reinstalling the latest version of ViewNX2, but since I have only used the software to transfer files from my SD card to my hard drive I may not bother.  I use Adobe Bridge for preview.

Thanks to you both for your help !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points