Skip navigation
bcakar1
Currently Being Moderated

Dodge Tool - Whitening the Background

Mar 29, 2013 9:32 AM

Tags: #tool #dodge

I'm using Photoshop Elements 10 -dodge tool to whiten the background of my product pictures. I highlight the background all white, and upload the pic to my website. The next day some spots in the background goes back to gray. Why is this and how can I avoid it?  Thanks.

Here is a sample picture with the same problem: http://chakarr-jewelry.com/silver-luxe/tree-of-life-quartz-earrings

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to bcakar1

I've never heard of anyone using the dodge tool successfully to make a background pure white. There are better ways.

Please post a quality picture of a piece of your jewelry, and I'll get back to you later today.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to bcakar1
    1. As a preliminary step for this picture, go to Enhance menu>Adjust lighting>Brightness/contrast, and boost the contrast slightly.
    2. Duplicate the background layer, shut off the visibilityof the background layer by clicking on the eye icon in the layers palette, work on background copy layer

3. Access the Magic wand tool from the toolbox, and on the tool's option bar, set the tolerance to 20 (you may have to experiment with this number), check "Contiguous". Click on an area of the background, and hit delete on the keyboard. You will see a checkerboard pattern, denoting transparency. Click on other areas to delete the background. When I finished there remained a small background area in the 6 o'clock position, and I got rid of it with the Eraser tool.

4. Place a blank layer between the background and the background copy layers, and fill this with white (Edit>fill layer>Contents:white)
    5. You should have 3 layers: Background, the white layer, layer with jewelry at top)

jewelry_2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to bcakar1

You're welcome. Glad to help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status