Skip navigation
maronm13
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 will not retain preferences

Mar 29, 2013 11:28 AM

Tags: #crash #indesign #preferences #program #losing

One of my users was recently upgraded from CS5 to Design and Web Premium CS6.  The first issue is that the InDesign program crashes for no apparent reason from time to time.  Secondly, the InDesign program will not retain any preferences.  If the program crashes and is restarted, the preferences are lost.  Also, if the program is closed normally and reopened, the preferences are lost.  This started happening about one month ago and prior to that, there were no problems. 

I have searced the forums and internet for a solution and while I've been able to find similar issues with other users, I cannot find a resolution.  Re-installaiton of the program has not produced a resolution.  Can anyone assist with this frustrating problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2013 12:48 AM   in reply to maronm13

We cannot know. You are not providing any system info or other details. Preferences not being retained means the user has no permissions to store them or an external tool is interfering. Since you seem to speak of multiple users, we can only conclude you mean your office's workgroup which would make the first somewhat likely. Would also explain the crashes - the user simply doesn't have permissions to access certain stuff and the program goes haywire over it.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to maronm13

Moved to InDesign forum.

First things first. Is Indesign CS6 patched to 8.0.1?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to maronm13

Where is the user profile stored?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to maronm13

The user profile, as far as I know, needs to be stored locally, not on a network server, for ID to function correctly.

It's not entirely clear from your original post, at least not to me, that CS6 has been working wonderfully, and it certainly hasn't been doing so for 2 years. You user's CS5 and CS6 installations are entirely separate from each other.

If you don't mind answering some more questions perhaps we can figure out what the problem is.

Does ID exhibit the same behavior if you create a new user account in the admisitrators group?

Have you tried repalcing the prefs? See Replace Your Preferences

Is there a font manager installed?

What else is running in the background? Anti-virus, malware scanner, messengers, browsers...

What folder is ID installed in?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to maronm13

maronm13 wrote:

All I'm looking for is someone from Adobe to tell me why a program that has been working wonderfully for nearly 2 years all of a sudden starts crashing and losing preferences

Two years? ID CS6 shipped less than a year ago. Further, this is a user to user forum. If you want an answer from Adobe contact them directly and have your credit card handly.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to maronm13

maronm13 wrote:

Peter...Thanks for your reply

So does that mean you're not really looking for help and won't provide information to help us help you? We are not "throwing darts inthe dark" here, we're trying to learn as much as we can about your system configuration and what you have already tried so we can get on with what are likely to be helpful responses. Windows itself provides almost nothing in the way of useful information about crashes or other failures, but we are real world users with a good deal of collective experience regarding common, and not so common issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to maronm13

As I said before, your CS5 experience and installation have nothing at all to do with CS6.

Crashing can be casued by a lot of different things, and it's easier if we ask YOU to tell us what might be running that we've seen to be a problem than to give you a laundry list of known and suspected conflicts.

Check your fonts. Bad fonts are the number one cause of program crashing in ID, but they are hardly the only cause.

If ID closes without saving prefs you have a permissions issue. If it crashes there's no way to save the prefs.

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to maronm13

Same thing happening to me!!!! Any suggeestions? It's crashing and when I open it all my preferences are gone....Never had a problem with previous versions. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to Maresca-Smith Lisa

Please start a new thread, and give us full details about your OS and version of ID, and what you are doing when it crashes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to maronm13

I think we have a mutual disrepect, and a different philosophy. I try to avoid amputation to fix a headache.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to maronm13

Perhaps if you had mentioned that you'd already tried the diagnostic steps when you posted (you mentioned a reinstall didn't work, but that has no bearing on bad prefs unless you actuall delete them during an uninstall) you'd have gotten the answer (or no answer) you wanted. We actually try to help people here -- including IT pros who come here when they are stumped -- and we have a very good record of success. When people don't tellus off the bat that they've already go the latest patches installed, etc. it's only natural that we ask to find out wahtthe current state of affairs really is. It's like asking if the computer is actually plugged in and turned on when you get a call saying it won't boot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to maronm13

Fortunately for me...

"...and thanks to your mentions of user profile issues in posts 7 and 12..."

...I was able to solve the issue by simply recreating a user profile.

Once again, thanks Pete for you response.

Fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to maronm13

maronm13 wrote:

Lisa,  All the Adobe experts on here are useless.

A statement like that says more about you than it does about us.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to maronm13

Apology accepted, at least here, and my opion of you has come up quite a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to maronm13

Cyber beers for all!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, you know I don't drink beer...

|
    Mark as: