Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using a selection tool make the image disappear

Mar 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #selection #cs6 #disappearing_image

Hi,

I am using PS CS6 13.0.1

When I use the selection tool, any selection tool, the image disappear.

I tried to disable GPU but that did not help, nor did starting in safe mode without any plug-in.

I find myself turning Photoshop On & Off several times until it is resolved. Sometime it may take even 15 times to turn on/off until resolved.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to karpiyon

make a screen shot of the tool bar showing settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to karpiyon

Same here. I'm running a Win 7, 64 bit pc. It seems to have started sometime this week.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to karpiyon

Looks OK.  There have been several cases where when an image is cropped it disappears.  In that case it was the video card driver.  What driver and card are you using?

If you crop an image does it dissppear also?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,484 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 29, 2013 7:40 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

it was the video card driver.

Yes, +1.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,484 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to karpiyon

You're going to need to learn some new things and brave the territory of maintaining the system software on your machine.

Determine what video card you have in it and post the information here.

Then go to the web site of the maker of your video card (e.g., nVidia or ATI) and download an appropriate driver.  Folks here can tell you what version that would be.  Usually the latest one they have released is good, but not always.

A good start would be to go into Photoshop's Help - System Info menu, copy the information shown there, and paste it into a post here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to karpiyon

I looked at video and problem is weird.  If you take a regular photo and make a selection of part of it with rectangular marque tool does the selected part dissapear, the whole image dissapears, or it acts normal?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,484 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I didn't even know that white block up top was an embedded video - IE didn't show it to me.

But it's a display driver problem I've seen before.  Something goes wrong in the marquee display process apparently.

If karpiyon doesn't want to go get a good video driver, it's entirely possible the problem will be averted by setting the Basic GPU mode in the Performance preferences, or disabling the GPU entirely.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

In Firefox its a black square with all the video controls.  He also said he disabled the GPU and it made no difference.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,484 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Disabling the GPU has to be followed by a restart of Photoshop to see the effect.  I wonder if that was done.

I saw the embedded video with Firefox before my prior post.  It's probably because of my more stringent security settings with IE - e.g., I don't allow IE to run ActiveX from just any site.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to karpiyon

karpiyon wrote:

I am using the video card integrated in the intel i7 processor, mounted on a supported Asus MB.

The integrated card supports all PS cs6 features. I have the latest drivers from intel.

PS does not like 2 different GPU's.  Do you have a discrete GPU also?  If so disable the Intel processor.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points