Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indd will not update placed images that have type design changes from Ai

Mar 29, 2013 11:48 AM

Tags: #automatically #illustrator #update #indesign #indd #ai #placed #typedesign #type-design

I am creating a book in Indesign ca4 and have placed hundreds of images from Illustrator cs4. These images have unconverted type in them. When i update the font (in FontExplorer X) the files  updates fine in Ai. However, when I go to the Indd file nothing changes. If i click on one of the images and relink then the updated font pops in. Now normally when I change anything else in an Ai file it automatically changes in the Indd file or at least shows that the file needs to be "updated".

The problem is that I don't want to spend hours clicking each graphic, going to relink find the file, etc. Also, the font change is mearly the same font with a different revision number and it is difficult to even see if the font has actually updated, I would be blind by the time I finished the process of updating each graphic and verifying that it actulally updated.

I do not want to convert the type to outlines, as this would cause even more time issues.

I don't understand how the this can happen without a red flag happening somewhere along the process, as the previous font that shows up in Indd no longer exists and the file is not embeded, or converted?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

Does it show as missing in Find Font?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

Yes, and yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

It does if they are missing...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

But to the larger point, I don't think ID reads the version number if the internal font name and format are correct. I would say that if the font is properly embedded in the .ai file it should output correctly, whether ID thinks the font was modified or not (did you resave the .ai to change the modification date so ID knows it was modified?) What do you get when you export to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

Generally when you save in Illustrator you would check the box to embed fonts for other applications, so even if you turn it off on the system it may still be embedded in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

This should not be confused with being able to edit the text, though. For that I'm quite sure you need to have the font active on the system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

What version of AI are you using? That message generally menas that fonts are bing embedded automatically if they have the required permission set.

Ok you did say CS4, and I just checked and it appears that embedding is not optional in CS4 (not sure when that changed -- I don't do a lot of work in Illy), just as it is not optional in ID when exporting PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Bill Dakelski

I should think a Save As would work without having to make a change, but you'd have to test that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points