Skip navigation
McRhorr777
Currently Being Moderated

How do I find and delete the pictures/videos folder on my iMac so I can repopulate it?

Mar 29, 2013 3:49 PM

Heading says it all

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to McRhorr777

Well, you don't want to delete the use pictures folder, which is where PSE normally puts things, just empty it out. Open a finder window (click the finder icon in the Dock), and then click on your account name in the left side of the window and you should see your pictures folder in the top level of the results:

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 8.49.11 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

Okay, I'm pretty confused as to what you want to do. I take it you used the "from iPhoto" command to populate the organizer, right? So what exactly do you want to do now? Get rid of all organizer photos? Then delete the Adobe folder from inside the pictures folder, and create a new catalog and delete the old one.

You will always have duplicate photos when importing from iphoto. The iphoto library is as fussy as a gardenia about being poked at from outside iphoto, so the organizer 'from iphoto' command makes duplicates so that you don't accidentally write into that library, which is the fastest way to corrupt it and lose everything in iphoto. Do you want to use iphoto or the organizer? Eventually you will have to choose one or the other or else you will make yourself crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to McRhorr777

No, PSE can't share the iphoto library, but you could set the PSE editor as your external editor from iphoto, if you want to use iphoto to organize your images instead of organizer. Given that you don't, then you could use the "from iphoto command" or you can export in batches from iphoto, which would pop up a window that gives you more options for what to keep. There is no way to use organizer and iphoto on the same images, though. You've got to make copies somewhere in the process if you want organizer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to McRhorr777

Why did you put them back into iphoto? You just made another set of duplicates when you reimported them to PSE. If you want to use iphoto that's fine, but it's better to choose between the two. Managing two sets of everything is going to make you crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

Well, first of all I'm not sure that adobe is better, at least not in the mac version. I would strongly suggest making a small test catalog (export a few photos from iphoto, put them where you want to keep them and then use "from files and folders" to import them to the organizer). Give both a good try to see which you prefer.

You can use PSE as your external editor if you want to keep using iphoto--it's totally up to you. Some people prefer one, some the other. Organizer has the large advantage of allowing as many versions as you want and better PSE integration, as well as better handling of raw files. iPhoto is a more polished operation and has better integration into OS X. It's all just a question of which you prefer. Me, personally, I don't like either of 'em.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to McRhorr777

Oh, I'm just kind of a contrarian, in that I dislike the whole concept of asset management software, unlike most people. I dislike anything that requires you to use a database to access your photos and I especially dislike anything that writes tag into into a proprietary dbase. I just use metadata keywords and folders.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 1:02 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

On the Mac you also have preview which is nice and easy to use for viewing images.

Go to Launchpad and click on Preview

Choose one of your photo folders, then highlight the first image and press Cmd+A to select all. Then click the open button bottom right.

To view as a simple slideshow click View >> Slideshow

There are no fancy transitions or music like you get when running a slideshow from an event in iPhoto but it’s a good alternative if you just want to use folders like Barbara.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

Well, then (again if I understand correctly), Organizer doesn't actually share the pictures from iPhoto...it can't as you said. So it pulls copies of the pictures and makes its own database. That would obviously double the amount of space the pictures were using up. So in this case, I would have 100gigs for iPhoto and 100 gigs for Organizer. Is this correct???

Yes, exactly.

think I also understand why Organizer and iPhoto needs their own library of photos...its for the editing reasons...right?

Not at all. It's primarily for tracking reasons. There's a difference between how the two operate. When you import a photo to iphoto it makes a copy in its own library and from now on that's the copy iphoto uses for everything. Organizer is normally just a database. When you import a photo that is already on your computer into organizer, it just makes note of where the original is stored. The only time organizer makes dupes is when importing from iphoto, so that it won't have to write into the iphoto library, which could corrupt it and cause the loss of the images there.

PSE has infinitely more editing capacity than iphoto, but many mac users use iphoto to store and organize their photos and PSE to edit them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

What did you mean by " Organizer has the large advantage of allowing as many versions as you want and better PSE integration, as well as better handling of raw files. iPhoto is a more polished operation and has better integration into OS X."

What exactly is a RAW file? When I look at the copies of the pictures in each of the program folders (iPhoto and Organizer), the same picture says .JPEG at the end...

When you use iphoto to organize your images, if you send a photo to an external editor, it will remember the last set of edits you made and the original photo. If you edit the photo again, your new edits replace the previous one. If you want to see the original photo again, you must revert the image, losing the edited version. For this reason a lot of people who use iphoto just export a copy of the image, edit that with PSE, and then import the edited copy back to iphoto as a new file.

PSE lets you save as many different stages of your image as you like, when you use the organizer's version set capability, and you can see all the versions at once to choose the one you want for a particular project.

As for raw files, when your camera takes a picture, it doesn't really take a picture. It captures a set of image data, a different set for each of the primary colors: red, green, blue. That's the raw data, which must then be assembled into an image. Your camera actually has a tiny computer that does this when it makes a jpg for you. When you shoot raw, you get the uncoverted data that must somehow be converted into an image. The advantage of this is that when the camera makes a jpg it throws out the extra information it didn't use, so there are limits to how far you can adjust a jpg. With the raw data and something like ACR, you have much more leeway for making adjustments.

When you use iphoto for editing, it uses the raw conversion built into OS X, so you have no control over the settings for the conversion the way you do in PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

Okay, the iphoto library actually contains the copies of your photos. If you delete the iphoto library, your pictures are gone. A database is essentially a list. When you import a photo (leaving iphoto out of it completely) to organizer, it just makes a note of where the photo is. You can delete your catalog and your original photos will still be where they were--only the information about them stored in the organizer will be gone.

I don't know what you did to cause your iphoto library to be so different in size. Yes, a dupe means a duplicate.

There's no need to worry about shooting raw unless you want to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to McRhorr777

iPhoto holders the actual picture information but when I "imported from iPhoto" it just created a database of the iPhoto library. You explain things well.

Evidently I don't. This should not even be able to happen. The very last thing you want is for anothe program to start using the iphoto library. That library is terribly sensitive to being poked and prodded by anything other than iphoto and it usually shrivels up and dies shortly after this happens. PSE has all kinds of safeguards to keep it from inadvertently doing this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points